ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only one who finds the new Apps-based world boring?

<< < (4/13) > >>

Josh:
I will buy my daughter a REGULAR cell phone. I do not care what her friends say. When she is working and can pay for the data plan, which I guarantee in 10 years will cost the same as it does now, and the added cost of having the device, she can have one.

munyard:
Boring? Yes they are, however the individuals who create these Apps used all of the 5 criteria listed, so for them I don't think it was boring.

I want knowledge,
I want intellectual liberty,
I want no restrictions on my curiosities,
I want creativity, not [endless] legal controls,
I want productivity, not merely connectivity.
--- End quote ---

Productivity" The essence on what I look for in applications, products and websites, which is why I allow myself to subscribe to proprietary products like iPhone or MacBook because on those, I find I am reasonably productive. 

Productivity vs. Creativity Is the human race called to be creative and not productive? You can be productive and mind mind-numbing bored at the same time, sadly this is the existence many sould face because their creativity is curtailed.  I feel that productivity in the wrong hands lends itself to be entrapment or ti control of others, at least in the hands of the companies represented in icons of the lead image.  ie. "the more money or subscribers they have the more they can influence / control others", the less they want others to be able to control themselves of move out of reach, or exercise liberties and freedoms. 

Creativity: is what defines us all, what you guys appear to do very well: The software and donation software you write is evidence of that. Problem is that the corporations that we refer to are slowly and surely erode away the creativity of man, with restrictions, licenses, limitations and the absence of an export button. We are no longer taught at school to be creative, we are taught to be productive, even if that productivity is mind numbing and thoughtless.  Resulting in boredom.

Restrictions: - Yep. Corporations are great at that, take for example Oracle suing Google because Android uses Java, or for example Microsoft hounding and pursuing Linux from pillar to post, If this is what they do to each other, what would they do to us given half a chance. 

Liberty: Thankfully there are traces of that particularly in open source, restoring our rights and freedoms, but then we run this liberty software on Window or Mac?   What are we thinking?

Knowledge:  I can have knowledge but what is it without with liberty, creativity, productivity?

- o0o -   

Enter an Open Source Hand Held Console without an App Store http://www.openpandora.org  If Desktop vs. Cloud and Apps Stores are the source to our boredom then here is possible solution to those App Store Blues.

http://www.openpandora.org   "But the most interesting part is probably that it isn't designed by a large company, it was designed by the suggestions and requests of hundreds of people on the gp32x forums. Over several months those suggestions were fine tuned in to what you see today, a completely new open source handheld."
--- End quote ---

And if you have further doubts please have a look at this video of the first completely open sourced hand-held console and what it can do.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/user/EvilDragon1717#p/u/8/qPyzC1NFkJE

You may already be aware of this although I did a quick search and there was no reference to the Open Pandora console on here, so if you have not already heard of this console I think you guys will love it.   

Thanks Roland.

Renegade:
That Open Pandora gadget looks pretty cool.

When it comes to being an "open platform", I think the most important thing is that it is possible to participate in the platform with no obstacles, i.e. access to the platform being open. I think it's less important that the platform itself be open. Desktop operating systems are like this. Mobile platforms are not. Console platforms are not.

I'm trying to draw the distinction between doing something "with" the platform and doing something "to" the platform.

Still, having the "to" option is nice for those that want to really go all the way.

justice:
Well if more people were thinking the same then there would be more viable alternatives. Clearly more people read a book or listen to music or play games than draw up databases and write long essays.  :P All this doesn't stop you doing that though, just not on those devices.

wraith808:
I actually like the concept of Apps, for 2 reasons:
1. They tend to satisfy a specific need.
2. They don't tend to be bloated with unneeded functionality.

As far as the method of consumption, I'm rather bleh to the whole thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version