ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only one who finds the new Apps-based world boring?

<< < (2/13) > >>

rxantos:
A simple solution for boredom.
Find something to do that does not involve computers, television or any other way of electronic entertainment. That way you will not get bored.

As for stores:
I really hate todays system in which the ones that work less are the ones that earn most of the profit.

Monopolized stores are the norm on portable devices. Is a high profit, low risk deal for the monopolizer. It will not surprise me if this modality come to desktop  by requiring the signing of applications by a centralized authority.

This started with the car industry, when if you bought any part for the car that where not from the manufacturer (including oil, and wipers blades), your warranty was void.

But then government made laws to end this. It was back in the days when government was government and not just a facade for corporations.

So if a law was made to require allowing competing stores on any device, this nonsense will end.

As for the Internet today.

In the beginning, I could found interesting information using telnet. Now I got go go to 99% garbage in order to find something useful. The problem is that 50% of the garbage seem useful at start.

As of instant communications:
1. We are fomenting a culture of instant gratification. Which is never good.
2. We do feel we have time to think things over before sending a response. Thereof responses tend to be emotional instead of rational.

Darwin:
rxantos - I agree with your points, particularly about instant gratification  :Thmbsup:

Eóin:
So if a law was made to require allowing competing stores on any device, this nonsense will end.
-rxantos (September 29, 2010, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

The locked in 'app store' concept is new, I firmly believe it will come to an end in due course, probably out of anti-competitive or anti-monopoly laws.

In the mean time, I'll just continue to use the systems which are still free.

superboyac:
I strongly agree with mouser and zaine's top two posts.  My knee-jerk reaction is to rant about the whole thing.  However, more and more, I'm realizing that we are just in the extreme minority.

Mobile computing is the future, or actually, the present.  Desktop applications and the people who actually prefer them are fast becoming the minority.  we're seeing more and more people turn to their phones to do their computing needs.  And that makes sense.  Most people don't do too much other than browse the web, write some emails, text, and play a few simple games.  I frequently hear about people who first get an iphone and then they say things like, "I don't even use my computer anymore."  Their needs are met by the simple phone, and in a way they prefer over the "complicated" desktop pc's.

That's a little depressing to me because I'm totally desktop guy.  But there's nothing we can do.  It's just going to get worse, and we are going to continue to be in the minority.  One thing I take heart in is that with the focus moving towards "apps" and mobile computing, the desktop market is being largely ignored by both the big players and small time developers.  So for any budding entrepreneurs out there, there are going to be lots of opportunities to address all the issues that are being ignored.  So while I largely agree with rxantos on all of his points, I do still believe that this movement will lead to more opportunities for those interested.  Somebody is going to innovate something in a good way for us, and we will probably be very thankful for it.  I know I will be.

Eóin:
There are many types of computer user, but there are two key ones for this issue; the content producer and the content consumer. The producers will always need a laptop or desktop, you really can't even write blog posts properly on an iPad, never mind a smart phone. Consumers only need internet and a touchscreen. The new 'app' revolution is aimed at the consumers, and that makes perfect sense, the vast vast vast majority of people are consumers only.

But the thing is, fortunately, I haven't yet seen the world forget about the producers. So long as the tools we need continue to be made, we'll continue to buy them, and the market for them will remain I believe. Sure we don't get 100% of the IT giants attention any more, but we don't need it, and it would be arrogant to think we even deserve it. The market has got more varied, that's all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version