ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only one who finds the new Apps-based world boring?

<< < (6/13) > >>

mahesh2k:
I prefer minimalistic approach when it comes to mobile apps. I don't use every social media app out there. I prefer app like ping.fm or similar which combines multiple social network in one app, that makes organizing and working easy.

Jimdoria:
And 30% commission to the "app store"? F**k-off. They bring no value at all to the table. They bring negative value. Let's see, I give you 30% of my sales so that I can... (spewing vitriol deleted)
--- End quote ---

You're entitled to your opinon. I think that payment processing, order fulfillment and promotional services actually have a fair amount of value, and the market would seem to agree with me as people are generally charged for these services. Handango and Brighthand have been in this business for years. They must be making money from somewhere, and my guess it is from the developers who sell goods in their store.

I agree that Apple's lock-in is not so great. This has been a perennial complaint about Apple, even from their desktop days. (You mean the Apple Mac OS software is LOCKED to Mac hardware? Grrrr....)

The thing you're missing is this - the app store DOES provide significant value - to the CUSTOMER - you know, the people who are actually paying the money. Not to all cusotmers, obviously. But developers & technophiles are a special case and not representative of the majority of customers. The lesson of iPod + iTunes was that people want a seamless, easy-to-use experience. "Don't make me think" - or rather, don't make me think about your stuff - how your software works, how to get it to work with my hardware - I have enough of my own stuff to think about.

This is a hard lesson for the technical folks to learn, which is why Apple now has something like 90% of the MP3 player market, when they entered that market late and with a product that was overpriced by many people's estimation.

As for Android, I was under the impression that (theoretically) you could install your own apps on Android. The market is just a convenient way to find and install apps. Am I misinformed on this?

kyrathaba:
Desktop applications and the people who actually prefer them are fast becoming the minority.  we're seeing more and more people turn to their phones to do their computing needs.
--- End quote ---

I find my Blackberry Curve almost useless for anything but reading a few blogs formatted especially for mobile phones, and for basic communication.  I much prefer a desktop.

And whoever said something about iPads, etc., being status symbols is exactly right.  My 13-year old wants an iPad so badly right now, precisely for this reason.  Will she use it?  Not much, not beyond the first few days, until the new 'wears off'.  Same thing as happened with the netbook I got her, which now I find lying around the house, left untended, even on the floor where it could be stepped on...

rxantos:
I don't believe that having a single monopolized store is good for customers. Specially when apple chooses for the customer what he can or not put on the equipment the customer bought with THEIR money.
P
As for payment, Paypal only charges 3% + 30 cents per transaction. Thats 27% less than apple.

If you got a serious application chances are you already got a web site for it, so storage is a non issue.

As of publicity, if there where more stores you got a bigger chance of your application getting noticed than with a single stores that buries you. Specially if your application is in a niche market, you will get better coverage on a specialized on line store than on a single monopolized one.

Thus Apple does not give enough value for the 30% plus $100/year. The only valid reason for using it, is that their monopoly is allowed by the current law. Just as car manufactures where allowed to void your warranty if you used a product that where not of their brand in your car.

We, the customers and small developers, need a movement so that this BS is stopped.

rxantos:
-- Please delete, made an error while posting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version