ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Multiple desktops

<< < (3/4) > >>

m_s:
(Neatly side-stepping Mouser) 

I think it was likewise my experience of Linux that first introduced me to the idea, Edvard.  Or maybe it was the MS PowerToy...

I think, for the money (it's free), Dexpot seems to be the best of those suggested so far.  There is a Pro version available for 8Euros, but I can't figure out what the difference is...

Edvard:
OK, ok, I'll do it. But I am stuck on NT4 and some nifty ones coming out don't run there... I may need assistance. MS Powertoys VDM and DM2 are two examples. But... onward.

(PS- I'm not into virtual pc stuff, so save that one for another deserving soul and we'll talk about a consolation prize :) )

I'll cross-post over to Mini-Reviews and expand on each one.
Stay tuned!

jgpaiva:
Edvard, thanks for the links.
I was a bb4win user, and like the linux version, bb4win had multiple virtual desktops, and they worked awsomelly.
Since i left bb4win, i never more found another virtual desktops program that worked so well.
I tried every app on the wikipedia site, and found that none did what i was looking for. Some used too much ram, others had a hole lot of features that i simply didn't need, others didn't have configurable hotkeys, other didn't have hotkeys at all, it just drove me mad.
But now, mouser posted a great link! Virtuawin has a function that is not easy to find in this kind of programs: it has an hotkey to change a window from one desktop to the next. This is one of the features i need the most, since i use the keyboard a lot, and don't like very much using the mouse to send one window to another desktop.
For me, it has only one problem: you can't assign any key to do that function. But that's a problem that ahk solves very well ;)

Edvard:
Actually, many of the VDM's listed have quite good hotkey support and they are assignable. I believe VERN has hotkeys for sending windows to other desks, and most all of them have the option to hide the Pager. VirtuaWin seems to be popular with quite a few folks who could care less about the eye candy and just want stuff out of the way. Bosskey does this as well. Reviews in progress...

jgpaiva:
I know edvard, and believe me, i've tried them, but i found none that had the hotkey to move the active window to the next vd, a feature that i need very much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version