ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FlatPress blogging platform: flat text file stored, open source, freeware

<< < (8/8)

f0dder:
Redmine is not terribly hard to install, provided you already have Ruby/Rails setup on your box.-JavaJones (August 10, 2011, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
...but a Ruby setup is a big bowl of AAAAAAAAAARGH to setup. At least it's been no joy for me on gentoo and debian systems. Pickyness about versions, weird behavior, RoR connections to mysql timing out after N hours with no apparent fix, sluggish performance, et cetera.

If you manage to get it going, do yourself a favor - never upgrade anything. Ruby is famous for breaking backwards compatibility, even for relatively minor updates, and the various Gem authors have taken that habit to heart.

40hz:
Redmine is not terribly hard to install, provided you already have Ruby/Rails setup on your box.-JavaJones (August 10, 2011, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
...but a Ruby setup is a big bowl of AAAAAAAAAARGH to setup. At least it's been no joy for me on gentoo and debian systems. Pickyness about versions, weird behavior, RoR connections to mysql timing out after N hours with no apparent fix, sluggish performance, et cetera.

If you manage to get it going, do yourself a favor - never upgrade anything. Ruby is famous for breaking backwards compatibility, even for relatively minor updates, and the various Gem authors have taken that habit to heart.
-f0dder (August 16, 2011, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Boy I'm glad it's not just me!  :huh:

I've run into similar to what f0dder is describing at one time or another when evaluating RoR/Redmine. Last time out we wound up using a  prebuilt stack from TurnkeyLinux to get it to work reliably.

wraith808:
-f0dder (August 16, 2011, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.  1000 times this.

I've run into similar to what f0dder is describing at one time or another when evaluating RoR/Redmine. Last time out we wound up using a  prebuilt stack from TurnkeyLinux to get it to work reliably.
-40hz (August 16, 2011, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've come to the conclusion that RoR is a ploy designed to monetize Linux. 

...Not really, but it feels that way sometime.

JavaJones:
Sadly, I have to agree with everyone bemoaning the difficulty of setting up and *maintaining* RoR. My current solution has been to just use a RoR-oriented web host (which can also do PHP, etc. it's just that they take care of the harder part of doing RoR). So far I've had no major problems running Redmine and other RoR projects. But this is not an appropriate solution for many. RoR really needs to mature as a platform if it's going to continue to gain popularity, particularly outside the coder/web hacker scene.

- Oshyan

kyrathaba:
Back to Flatpress for a moment: I want to let everyone know that I have Beyond Compare 3 and a system of chained batch files working great for backing up my Flatpress blog daily, or at least a couple times weekly.  I haven't yet automated the BC-work, but it can be done -- BC includes commandline parameter support and scripting support.  Once my online Flatpress files are mirrored to my backup drive, I have automated the copying of the backed-up directory to multiple attached drives and to my Dropbox directory, so that it'll be uploaded/synced.  Handy stuff.

Upshot: it's relatively easy (and fast: only a few kilobytes every couple days to be backed up, depending on how much you post) to backup a Flatpress blog.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version