ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for Refrigerator Magnets that work

<< < (8/9) > >>

J-Mac:
LOL! I had a friend - really, I did have one, believe it or not! - who swore that the term "Freudian slip" referred to an incident (accident?) that occurred when old Sigmund tried to scurry along too fast on the ice.

Me? I know that it refers to the particular lingerie that Sigmund wore under his dress to keep it from clinging too much.   ;)   ;D

Jim

app103:
app103 - a microwave oven can do the same.

I am surprised at all the trepidation over some tiny little refrigerator magnets! Come on folks! Refrigerator magnets!! I would hazard a guess - out on a limb here - that many more people are killed in auto accidents than by their refrigerator magnets, but I'll wager that no one gives driving their cars that much cautious forethought!!  :P

Thanks!

Jim
-J-Mac (September 27, 2010, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Magnets can kill.

A 6-year-old boy died after undergoing an MRI exam at a New York-area hospital when the machine's powerful magnetic field jerked a metal oxygen tank across the room, crushing the child's head.
--- End quote ---

Magnets can kill.

Doctors at Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry saved the life of a three-year-old boy after he swallowed several magnets which burst his appendix when they clamped around it — the first known case of its kind.
--- End quote ---

Magnets can kill.

The facts: Since 2005, there has been one death and 86 injuries from magnets and 8 million magnetic toys have been recalled.
The problem: Today’s magnets can be very small and very powerful—so much so that when a child swallows two or more magnets or a magnet and another metal object, the items can attract through intestinal walls and get trapped in place. This can twist or pinch the intestines causing holes, blockages, infection and even death.
The solution: Watch carefully for loose magnets that may fall out of various toys and keep magnets away from children younger than six. Check any magnet toys to see if they’ve been recalled and, if so, stop using such toys immediately.
--- End quote ---

MAGNETS CAN KILL!

When you get to the bottom of the page, there is no shortage of links to more stories showing just how dangerous common everyday magnets are.

It doesn't matter if they are tiny magnets in a child's toy or the giant powerful magnets used in MRI machines, or any size in between. ALL magnets have the potential to kill, and that potential increases with the power of the magnet. The kind of magnets we have been talking about in this thread are not common fridge magnets. Your common fridge magnet doesn't have 890 lbs of pull force, but there is one that does on the page I linked to in my first reply in this thread.  :o

J-Mac:
Well of all the things out there in the world that can kill me, I guess that magnets are on that list somewhere.........   :-\

Jim

NigelH:
CodeTRUCKER, I've used these Fridge Magnets
They're more expensive than those J-Mac linked to, but the magnets are stronger.

Daleus:
Lee Valley also sells rare earth magnets, in several configurations, one of which might suit your purpose:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3&p=42363

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version