ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would someone mind recommending a good laser printer?

<< < (2/8) > >>

mouser:
i think letting go of 11x17 is a great idea.
not only will it jack up the price significantly, but the desktop footprint as well.

superboyac:
11x17 is the one requirement that will drive the price up (way up). But if you can find a HP LaserJet 5000 (eBay) that would be a good printer with a solid reputation.

Note: most of the duplex jamming issues are caused by sub-standard media and/or moisture (I see this constantly) ... So read any reviews with a bit of skepticism.
-Stoic Joker (September 24, 2010, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I am always skeptic.  Especially lately since the internet is just pretty much garbage.  I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that I'm asking a lot more questions here in recent months.  The internet has become pretty unreliable for me as far as answering questions.  I go here because I trust you guys and the forum design is excellent.  Thanks for the duplex tip, I'll remember that.

superboyac:
I don't understand the deal with resolutions.  I mean, I know what AxB means, but how does it affect print quality in simple language?  For example, I see 1200x1200, and 2400x600.  What is the difference?  They both total 1440000 dpi.  And then there are more expensive printers that only have 600x600.  That doesn't really make sense.  Man, I am really getting tired of the whole PC world.  Too much nonsense jargon, too many useless and confusing specs.  Apple is going to take over.  So simple, so nice.  But don't respond to that last bit, I have enough threads about that.

Stoic Joker:
DPI isn't really relevant for a laser printer as it doesn't print dots (ala inkjets). If you're getting/looking at an MFP/AIO (something with a scanner) then it would apply to the scanning resolution...but that's about it.

Bottom line is what do you want to print Text, Graphics, or Photos? For truly photo quality prints you're stuck with an inkjet ($$) for low volume prints, or a solid ink ($$$$$) machine for high volume prints.

If you just want a good solid basic text (forms/letters/etc.) with some graphics (logo on top of form) type of printer that's not hard to do. Key points are (does it need to be a network printer) how many people Will print to it, and what is the expected print volume (rough estimates are fine) in pages per month.

Note: HP Network printers run between $100 - $200 more than the non-networked models. But! If the model you get has an EIO slot you can get JetDirect cards on eBay for $20 - $50 and end up with the same thing for less.

Note2: I tend to lean toward HP because I (work for an ASP) am the most familiar with them. But we do service/support all brands. Dell makes has some nice printers also.
Low end models are made by Canon
Midrange models are made by Lexmark
High-end models are made by Xerox

cmpm:
some printers
take into considering a printer by the price of the toner
for color, that's 4 toner cartridges-$200 worth of toner for one of these

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4376001&CatId=2713
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2713&name=All-In-One-Laser-Printers&Nav=|c:244|&Sort=0&Recs=10
not sure if that link works, but it does from searching tigerdirect, just not in this post

further reading

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/intermediate/a/measure_dpi.htm
wikipedia -printer dpi- is more detailed but not simply explained, if it can be

11 x 17 gets into some expense

http://www.pcrush.com/11x17printers

Of course now you have me considering one.
One thing I like is the style of the laser printer.
The paper is in an enclosed slot, reducing dust build up on the paper.

Those Samsungs look nice, the first one on tigerdirect's page.
I like the scan function, I have no land line, but I can fax to my own computer,
for some unknown reasoning to me yet.

I look at how many thousands a month, the higher or better is good I guess.
Not sure why it's measured like that, perhaps it's about business production.
I don't know if it stops after the output of 50,000 or 20,000 a month or what it means.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version