ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MD5Hash 2.9

<< < (7/9) > >>

MilesAhead:
I'll be updating to 2.8 later today.  I have this sorted now. The first copy of MD5Hash will try to set itself up as the "main instance" no matter what.  Subsequent copies, if they have anything on the command line, will send the command line to the main instance.  If a copy is started with no command line params, it will be allowed to open.

This way you can still open a copy to feed on another drive or whatever.  Just drag & drop files to it, or use the Browse Button to select files etc..

Launching from the Context Menu will supply a command line.  So if you launch from a shortcut or command prompt with no command line, I assume you want another copy open.  No need for .ini file or registry setting or option checkbox. It just logically follows.

I'll post a notice when 2.8 is uploaded.

widgewunner:
Regarding the topic of file hash utilities, have you looked at HASHTAB?

It is one of the most useful programs I've come across in a long time. Worth a look-see.

MilesAhead:
(please delete)

MilesAhead:
MD5Hash 2.8 As of version 2.8, the first copy of the app to run will attempt to set itself up as the "main instance" of the application.  Any copies started after that, that have something on the command line(for instance, launched from Explorer Context Menu) will just send the command line to the main instance, then quit.

If, however, a secondary instance is started with nothing on the command line, it will be allowed to remain open.  This gives more options without having to toggle some .ini file option or use a command line switch.

If you have a multi-core PC and select 20 tiny files in Explorer to launch from the context menu, there's a chance you'll get multiple copies with a result showing in each copy.  The way to avoid this is to select a single file or folder and start it going. Then make additional selections.  They will be added to the job queue instead of starting new copies.

I think this approach is a good compromise.  You don't have to toggle settings.  You get both "main instance" benefits and the ability to launch another copy to do a separate job.

MilesAhead:
MD5Hash 2.9 I enhanced monitoring of composition changes.  On Vista the dialog is now a semi-transparent blue. On XP the default dialog theme is used.

Edit: btw if you are on XP and got an error trying to run MD5Hash 2.9 please download MD5Hash again.  The glitch has been fixed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version