ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MeediOS: A promising HTPC frontend.

<< < (2/4) > >>

superboyac:
Wow!  MeediOS is really really great!  I just tried it out, and my initial feeling is that this will be the solution for me.  Visually, it's stunning.  It's very flexible, all sorts of plugins can be added.  Even the default plugins that come with it are just fine.  They take care of audio, video, tv shows, movies, anything!  My favorite part is that it seems to be able to use any of your preferred media players to actually launch the files.  So it really is just a frontend.  i think.  I'm not completely sure of that right now.

My gut feeling is that if I make an HTPC using Windows & plus this MeediOS, it will probably be the most kick-ass thing out there.  I'll have a projector as my new TV, so it will be displayed HUGE on the wall.  And this Meedios interface is just beautiful.  It basically looks like something Apple would do, but I still get to configure it pretty intensely behind the scenes.  Wow.  i highly recommend all you guys to play with it.  If anyone is interested, I'll post in detail later how I have set mine up to work in a very beautiful and practical manner.  Probably not until 2011, however.

lanux128:
another viable option is XBMC as highlighted by this lifehacker article.

Stoic Joker:
another viable option is XBMC as highlighted by this lifehacker article.-lanux128 (September 25, 2010, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting, that actually is a bootable (Linux based) OS. But the MeediOS (despite ending in OS) is just a media handling GUI that runs on a Windows box.

Or am I missing something?

superboyac:
another viable option is XBMC as highlighted by this lifehacker article.-lanux128 (September 25, 2010, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting, that actually is a bootable (Linux based) OS. But the MeediOS (despite ending in OS) is just a media handling GUI that runs on a Windows box.

Or am I missing something?
-Stoic Joker (September 25, 2010, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
I believe the bolded part is correct.  I haven't used it with actual media yet...I'll find out.  But that is my favorite part, that it runs on Windows and it's just a frontend for navigating your media.

Stoic Joker:
Hm... I was hoping for something in a light weight Linux OS as an idea for my brother who's into cars, movies, and is thinking about a HTPC sort of rig. I'm toying with doing something for him centered around one of these PCRides next to the TV with a (huge ugly) headless storage server in a back room.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version