ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

prevent my kids from downloading files from the Internet

<< < (3/4) > >>

sajman99:
I use a free version of Returnil (from a few years back) which doesn't have the expanded functionality of the newer versions.

With system virtualization software such as Returnil your kids can go absolutely nuts downloading and installing all the crap they can find, but when the computer is rebooted all their junk will be gone!

Once the parent illustrates this shocker to the child, he/she may understand the futility of their actions. In their minds, it might be--why bother, Dad's just gonna delete everything anyway. Or maybe they will download even more knowing you won't be mad. Hard to say. ;D

app103:
If you are running XP or Vista, you could use Windows SteadyState (freeware). It's as close as you are going to get to a free version of DeepFreeze. It was intended for protecting computers in schools, libraries, internet cafes, and anywhere else where a heavy duty solution is required.

Once installed and properly configured, all you have to do is reboot to get rid of any changes anyone makes to the system...meaning all the malware and toolbars acquired during a session will just disappear. No more worrying from you.

But you better grab a copy soon, because Microsoft is discontinuing access to download it at the end of this year.

So, grab all 3 of these files and make a good backup of them:

* setup
* FAQ
* handbook

kyrathaba:
Thank you all for your replies.  Even after a factory restore, it's still acting screwy at boot-up, which makes me thing that there's a hardware issue (AVG, Anti-Malware Bytes, and SuperAntiSpyware all report clean).

When I got it running as good as possible, I put a 30-day trial of Folder Guard on it and disabled downloading.  Seems to be working.

I will also look into SteadyState.  Thanks for the links, app.

kyrathaba:
Got rid of Folder Guard.  Installed and configured SteadyState, and it seems to be working well.

Also, removed modem and router from kids' bedroom, and they now connect via a Linksys USB wireless device that picks up the router.  Moved router and modem to our room, where they'll be safer.  Am about to get a very nice computer desk/bookshelves hand-made of oak by a guy I went to high school with...

Arizona Hot:
Does anyone here have any experience with PowerShadow? I have it and have used it a few times on sites I deemed risky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version