ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Application Virtualization - Make your applications portable

(1/1)

4wd:
For those that are interested in making their applications portable, there's a new kid on the block - well, it's been around since April but I haven't seen anyone mention it here.

Cameyo - Free Application Virtualization

Very easy to use and you end up with a single executable application 'package' which seems to run ok on other Windows OSes, (providing the necessary dependencies are there of course).

A slightly cheaper alternative to ThinApp.

Addendum: From browsing the forum, you can add a parameter to the executable command line to remove the temporary files from the host system: "yourapp.exe -remove".
Also, the latest beta can be downloaded from here.

EDIT: Change the subject to be a little more descriptive.

brahman:
Thanks for the info.

It seems pretty nifty. You can apparently install in a sandbox and make the app portable from there without actually installing it.

This is how I have been doing it anyway manually - maybe Cameyo can do it automatically and save me some work.

I will give it a try!

4wd:
It seems pretty nifty. You can apparently install in a sandbox and make the app portable from there without actually installing it.

This is how I have been doing it anyway manually - maybe Cameyo can do it automatically and save me some work.-brahman (September 18, 2010, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't had a look at the latest beta, I know it was discussed/requested.

I use a VM with a base XP-SP3 + .NET OS to capture installs using Cameyo - then just revert to the base snapshot after transfering the package out of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version