ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another reason to drop Kaspersky?

<< < (13/18) > >>

Bamse:
Clueless end-user who thanks to marketing pay for advanced security software but not prepared or able to manage it correctly. MSE is about the level majority can manage, ends most "need for whatever new layer of defense" debates. More advanced stuff which can create problems in mysterious ways is for the chosen ones. KISS and less marketing BS is the answer :)

Darwin:
Just an update - lately (Sunbelt's) VIPRE has been well-behaved and I have even been able to turn on the option to have Active Protection scan files and folders as they are opened with no hit to my system again. Turns out, after digging through their forum, that the problem I had was related to a defintion update in September that was subsequently patched.

All is well...

Jibz:
I have started thinking about looking for alternatives myself.

I have used Kaspersky products for years, and have always been happy with them.

But the last couple of versions feel like they are getting slower and more obnoxious. I can't complain about the protection, which has worked fine. But every time it updates my computer is more and more unresponsive, sometimes locking up repeatedly for seconds. And I seem to spend more and more time looking at the "new application has been started" progress dialog on my screen.

Also, the last two product upgrades were a pain .. I ended up having to use a removal tool from their forums to get rid of the old version before the new would install.

Part of it is probably because I am running on a single-core machine with 1GB of mem, and they are targeting more recent hardware. Maybe I shouldn't have upgraded to 2010 and 2011 versions.

But in the end, I am feeling more and more annoyed by how much KIS is interrupting my work.

superboyac:
They are making the program too bloated.  There's no reason why the program needs current hardware to run.  It's not like it's the latest gaming engine or anything.  If it ran fast 5 years ago, it should run even faster.  It's not like AV suites do anything different now compared to 5 years ago.  They can do it, they just don't care about it.  And not enough of us make a stink about it to make them care, so that's how software eventually becomes bloated.

And the program is getting worse.  The last two version don't "react" properly, in my opinion.  There are many times when I'll click to update the signatures, and it lets you press the button, but nothing happens.  Then it starts several minutes later.  And the download speed of those few megabytes of signatures is really slow.  And sometimes, it will detect something, and that big button turns red.  So I click on it to fix it, I confirm "Neutralize" or whatever option is shown, and even after confirming a couple of times, nothing happens.  Then I keep clicking it and nothing happens.  The button stays red.  Then i come back a few minutes later and it's green again.  But I have no idea what is happening.  Am I crazy to expect something to happen when I click a big huge red button that says "Fix it Now!"??  I hate bloat so freaking much.

I get such enormous pleasure when I find a software that is simple and fast.  I love it when I click on things and the reaction time is really fast.

Tinman57:
  I'm waiting for my KAV license to expire also.  I'm running version 8 now, because the later versions won't allow you to have Comodo Firewall or Spybot S&D installed on your computer.  It's an anti-competition type thing that's been going on for a couple of years now.  With v8, I had to uninstall Comodo Firewall and Spybot, install KAV, then reinstall Comodo & Spybot.  With KAV v9, you couldn't even do that, it wouldn't allow it.
  I'll probably go with Comodo Internet security since I'm so impressed with their firewall.  Best firewall I've ever used, and extremely configurable....
  For those of you that don't know Comodo, it's free and not restricted in any way.  They have a paid version for businesses, but it has features (paid services) that the ordinary user wouldn't need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version