ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Java and braces ... how do you keep track of them?

<< < (2/2)

mwb1100:
I'm using Geany (Linux, text editor)
-tsaint (August 17, 2010, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Geany highlights matching braces when your cursor is next to one, which should be some help.  It also has options to "auto-close" certain constructs (including 'curly brackets'). That might be helpful or irritating, depending on your preferences.

tsaint:
The problem I've been having is that it doesnt do me much good to see one red brace when I need to do a lot of scrolling to see its match.
So I'm thinking it's the folding which is the key to being able then to see the matches, either with careful indentation else the brace highlighting

mwb1100:
it doesnt do me much good to see one red brace when I need to do a lot of scrolling to see its match.
-tsaint (August 19, 2010, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course - I should have also mentioned the "jump to matching brace" command (defaults to Ctrl-b) in geany, which again can help a lot.

Geany also has 'indentation guides' you can turn on - but they don't act on the language syntax, just the physical indenting in the document. However, they can help you notice when something isn't right.

tsaint:
thanks for these useful ideas... that's great.

Renegade:
Why not just use an IDE like Eclipse?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version