ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a portable document and info management tool

<< < (2/3) > >>

AbteriX:
Thanks for the suggestions, but i didn't search for an tagging tool  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
This is an idea i'm interested in (and possibly interested in coding);

One particular aspect that i was interested in, was the idea that one could take a hierarchical directory tree of files, add some info to it, and then "package" it as a kind of standalone document collection that you could distribute to others.

AbteriX:
>take a hierarchical directory tree of files,

That's what i had in mind.
- browse to an folder
- see on the left all files and subfolders
- supported files (like txt and rtf) could be previewed (or edited) in the right pane
- other files like doc or xls could be opened in associated app
-- (and there could be an notice shown at the right pane.  This notices are stored in
-- an additional file aside the real file, with the same name plus an addition, and an hidden attribute)
- the app itself should store no info what files are in the repository
- all file & folders i add or remove -in real on disk- are shown in the left pane
- for adding links to documents i would just add real shortcuts into the real folder

Of course maybe the app could show doc and xls by using OLE inside the right pane too
and provide that way some formating possibilities?

Perhaps there could be an portable 'desktop' search engine be used to corporate for searching issues.

I am now reminded that i had see such app one time in the past, but for plain text only:
http://www.flos-freeware.ch/archive.html

_

urlwolf:
I think lyx fullfills most of the requirements.
You don't have the file explorer on the side, but you can make all docs be part of a master one, and then the outlier will take care of the nesting and displaying. Plain text. Superfast to load. Exports great to hmtl and pdf. Autocompletion while you write. Can embed images. Killer tool for notetaking.

TucknDar:
It probably doesn't fulfill all of your wishes, but AM-Notebook is a pretty good note taker, info management tool, which saves notes as files in folder structures. Free version available.

Looking for a portable document and info management tool

http://www.aignes.com/notebook.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version