ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tipping - Why does this appear to be a "requirement"?

<< < (13/14) > >>

mouser:
Interesting article on salon.com today about tipping:
http://www.salon.com/food/francis_lam/2010/09/30/what_do_we_tip_waiters_for/index.html

"A veteran server reveals how we really don't care about the service when we tip, and how he makes more money..."

superboyac:
Interesting article on salon.com today about tipping:
http://www.salon.com/food/francis_lam/2010/09/30/what_do_we_tip_waiters_for/index.html

"A veteran server reveals how we really don't care about the service when we tip, and how he makes more money..."
-mouser (September 30, 2010, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Fascinating article.  So much psychology there.

simakuutio:
As a European (living in Finland), this tipping in restaurant is so annoying thing when I do visit US (once in a two years or so). Everything else in US is pretty much the way I like it but when I'll go to restaurant, it's kinda strange because I have no idea, what that food I'm going to eat, is gonna cost me at the end... (of course I have some estimates but...).

And service... hey, I'm there just to eat something, not to ask to wipe my ass clean. Waiters are there only to ask what I want to eat, carry my drink(s) & foods for me and when I'm finished, get money for that food. I'm not expecting much more for a typical visit to restaurant. I don't expect waiters to give me a nice show when I'm eating, for that I'll go to movies/theater/somewhere else. Just plain basic, solid good service to get job done. And smiling should be free, no matter what.

In Europe, in many countries mandatory tipping doesn't exist. So no one expects you to tip but if you feel you're getting superior service, you're free to tip and make servers happy.

Here in Finland, when I go to restaurant, I quite rarely tip. But when I tip, there are good reasons for that. (same thing in many other European countries I'll visit).

That's my 0.02e for this discussion.

Josh:
That is part of my logic. The cost of the food, whether this is actually the case or not, should cover the service the waiter is providing. If I tip, it should be EXTRA and not an expected part of their income. Why am I going to tip you 15% of a 60 dollar check for 4 interactions (Intro/Drink order placement, drop off drinks and take food order, drop off food and see if anything else is needed, and checking if we want desert/dropping off check) with the occasional extra drink refill? What did they do that warrants $9, in the case of a 60 dollar check, extra? Why should I leave you 15% extra from my check? What, because it is considered "customary"? Sorry, I will tip you when I feel it is warranted and you did something to earn the extra money. I will not tip because it's the "expected" thing to do.

wraith808:
That is part of my logic. The cost of the food, whether this is actually the case or not, should cover the service the waiter is providing. If I tip, it should be EXTRA and not an expected part of their income. Why am I going to tip you 15% of a 60 dollar check for 4 interactions (Intro/Drink order placement, drop off drinks and take food order, drop off food and see if anything else is needed, and checking if we want desert/dropping off check) with the occasional extra drink refill? What did they do that warrants $9, in the case of a 60 dollar check, extra? Why should I leave you 15% extra from my check? What, because it is considered "customary"? Sorry, I will tip you when I feel it is warranted and you did something to earn the extra money. I will not tip because it's the "expected" thing to do.
-Josh (October 01, 2010, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

But *my* point is that stiffing the waiter isn't hurting the restaurant, who is making the waiter depend on tips.  It's hurting the *waiter*.  I can understand your point, but is hurting another individual who has no influence on the pay scale the way to go about it?  Or perhaps to try, in some manner or fashion, to change the system?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version