ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tipping - Why does this appear to be a "requirement"?

<< < (7/14) > >>

deefrawley:
Renegade, if everytime you go out you are getting bad service and paying $15 a drink then you are clearly going to the wrong places.

Also being from Australia, I find the idea of mandatory tipping strange. I'll often round up so I don't get a pocket full of change but that is out of convenience and at my discretion. Feeling an obligation to supplement someone else's wage would make me feel uncomfortable.

J-Mac:
As Joe Cabot said to Mr. Pink regarding tipping the waitress...

"Shut up. What do you mean, you don't believe in it? Cough up a buck, you cheap bastard."
--- End quote ---

Jim

J-Mac:
I tip anyone and everyone who serves me food. Bar none.

Yes, I tip at McDonald's, I tip at food stands, I tip at all take-out counters. Get over it and stop acting like a buch of cheap bastards!!

BTW, the quote in my last post was from the very memorable diner/tipping scene in "Reservoir Dogs".  :Thmbsup:

Jim

Josh:
Jim,

It has NOTHING to do with being cheap. It has to do with this becoming a requirement and expected at almost any place I visit. Why should I be forced to supplement someones income because the establishment refuses to pay them even minimum wage? Why should I tip someone who is rude to me when I am paying their employer for them not to be? You can tip all you want, that's fine. I tip when I deem it appropriate. I will not tip at a fast food restaurant. I will not tip you for a 30 second encounter in which you prepare and hand me an ice cream cone. That is why I am paying for your product. I am not paying for it just to turn around and pay you again for the same service.

However, I will not tip if I feel that the service does not merit it. I will also ask for a refund of any tips deemed mandatory. If I go to a restaurant and they tell me that gratuity is automatically included, I ask for it back immediately. How do I know the tip is going to the employee who served me?

Sorry, but tipping has gotten out of control and for restaurants to make that more then 50% of someone's salary is wrong. The restaurant chains need to change and pay their employees decently.

Stoic Joker:
In Florida? $20? That's beyond insane.

As for the price of a beer... It won't change too much. People just won't pay, and that will keep it down.
-Renegade (September 15, 2010, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Most folks tip the barmaids/tenders well here - It's kind of an understood mandate - and it quickly reflects on the level/quality of service...

The good old dive bar beer joint (my favorite kind) is a dieing (dead actually) breed due to the insane amount of taxes placed on alcholic beverages (which is why I went bankrupt in one). The margin is so tight that if wages were "normalized" draft beer would easily hit $10 a glass (they're a buck or two now).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version