ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Source code colors: Contrast / Readability / Ergonomics

(1/6) > >>

Gothi[c]:
Why is it that most IDE's have a default white background with black text?

Personally it really hurts my eyes. Especially on CRT monitors. The white of a computer monitor is not like say a white paper, it is light. So especially for those of us who are coding over 8 hours a day, which is better for our eyes?
Personally I use a soft green on a black background because green is one of the colors humans perceive best. Green on black provides high contrast. I use soft green so the contrast isn't too high. Seems to work best for me. I hear yellow on blue is best for bright-lit rooms / daylight.  But black on white is overkill contrast and really bad on the eyes.

Here is an interesting page about this topic:

http://www.writer2001.com/colwebcontrast.htm

Rover:
I agree.  I think the black on white was originally designed to mimic paper and make us all more comfortable with PC's.  Plus Mainframes and Terminals used Green on Black, so we *must* look different from them.

Personally, anytime I'm using an editor, terminal or anything for very long, I look to change it to ....
Green on Black.  Looks best, easiest to see and doggon.. I like it.  :Thmbsup:

I used to work with a guy who always used Yellow on Blue... yuck!  :'(

jroad:
I remember back in the days of Turbo Pascal, the default scheme was yellow on blue and I really got used to it.  It was hard moving to the default black on white in Windows.  I guess I have adapted to it, but maybe I will start experimenting again with darker backgrounds when I can.

Rover:
I remember back in the days of Turbo Pascal, the default scheme was yellow on blue and I really got used to it.  -jroad (February 10, 2006, 12:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
2 quick notes:
1. I changed the color scheme in TP to Green on black.
2. I LOVED Turbo Pascal  :-* :-*

Gothi[c]:
My color scheme in Turbo Pascal was usually green on blue due to excessive ASM usage :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version