ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommendations for good computer 2.1 speaker system?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Gothi[c]:
Just use an old but good stereo amp. The quality of these old amps far surpasses the new hifi crap imho. :)
I have an old Technics amp (100w/channel) hooked up to my pc which works great. I used to have 2 homemade rack mounted mono amps of 500W connect to it but that was kinda overkill. I've tried many surround systems but I still like old quadrophony or even stereo better.
Some of these old sixties/seventies/eighties amps are really cool looking, like retro-tech style.
Like this one has a tiny radar-like screen:

But you get the best audio quality with a tube amp.

notice the springs on the bottom which were used to generate echo effects :P
the spring sits in a coil on both ends.
pretty ingenious :)

brotherS:
Just use an old but good stereo amp. The quality of these old amps far surpasses the new hifi crap imho. :)
I have an old Technics amp (100w/channel) hooked up to my pc which works great. I used to have 2 homemade rack mounted mono amps of 500W connect to it but that was kinda overkill. I've tried many surround systems but I still like old quadrophony or even stereo better.
-Gothi[c] (February 10, 2006, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
I recently was able to listen to a new BOSE 2.1 system that was supposed to be some "virtual 4.1" or something... really small and really, really great sound!

...put probably not cheap. :-[

superboyac:
Good stuff, Gothi[c]!  Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, I bet it sounds great.  By the way, those springs are for reverb, that's how it used to be done.  I have the same thing on my Hammond organ.

But I can't use something that bulky for the office.  I'm leaning towards the Philips USB link thing Gerome was talking about, but I'd like to know the model of it first.  Are there other hifi systems that plug into the computer with USB?  That seems pretty cool.

superboyac:
Wait...I was just thinking, why would I need a USB cable to connect to a Hi Fi speaker system?  Wouldn't it work if I simply went from the regular speaker connection of the sound card to the line-in of the Hi Fi speaker?  I don't understand.  Is the Hi Fi speaker even using the sound card?  SOmething's weird here.

scorp:
Wait...I was just thinking, why would I need a USB cable to connect to a Hi Fi speaker system?  Wouldn't it work if I simply went from the regular speaker connection of the sound card to the line-in of the Hi Fi speaker?  I don't understand.  Is the Hi Fi speaker even using the sound card?  SOmething's weird here.
-superboyac (February 10, 2006, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can only attach directly to a HiFi speaker if it is 4ohm otherwise at full volume anything above 4ohm you will struggle to get sound out of .

The way i would do it is use your speaker output of the comp and using the appropriate connectors and cable connect it to whatever mini stereo you have assuming it has sound inputs(usually RCA  ), that's how i've connected my comp to my main stereo no more bloody changing discs

then it's a matter of adjusting the comp's soundcard volume output to whatever strength you want the stereo to produce, in other words if you set the comp's sound output to low you'll have to turn up the stereo volume to full to hear it etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version