ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's Your Internet Speed/Reliability SATISFACTION?

<< < (2/31) > >>

Carol Haynes:
20/2mbit ADSL2+, which is somewhat more than adequate :). I pay about $60/mo for this line, which I find to be expensive, but it's normal price here in .dk.
-f0dder (September 06, 2010, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is that the actual speed you get or is that the advertised headline rate?

My headline rate is 20mbit ADSL - in fact I achieve around 6.7mbit where I live (which given my location is actually pretty good - given that people within sight of my house are getting 256kbit download speeds). Upload speed is supposed to be 0.5Mbit but I mostly don't get much more than 0.34-0.38 - which is pretty crap when you are trying to do website work.

f0dder:
I can get around 2Mbyte/sec download and 200Kbyte/sec upload speeds - haven't checked exactly how fast it goes, but it's a bit faster than those rough figures. Depends on a bit of factors, and it's not often that a single server can offer full speed (I just did a speedtest.net to the hosting centre across the street and got 17.4/1.7, even though I don't have any other traffic going at the moment), but for a well-seeded torrent it's usually not a problem reaching 2MB/s. I just hit 2100KB/s for linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-amd64.iso at the 450meg mark (establishing multiple connections, TCP slow-start, et cetera). A bit amazing, since linux ISOs have always been so poorly seeded when I've tried that multipart HTTP leeching has been (way) faster.

Carol Haynes:
So it really isn't 20mbit - I get around 900Kb/s download speeds with a 6.7mbit connection.

If you want to test your speed try www.speedtest.net

superboyac:
My connection is overpriced for what it provides.  Unfortunately, it's the best available in my area.  I'm so jealous of FIOS users (like my sister) or any other fiber service.  I don't know what my rated specs are, but that doesn't really matter.  All that matters is what I actually have seen, and what I pay:
$45 a month
DL Max speed I've been able to see consistently = 700 KB/s
UL Max speed I've seen = 60 KB/s

Also, what's up with bits?  Isn't it more convenient to use "bytes" in conversation?  I don't know about you guys, but everytime someone says bits, I have to divide by 8 in my head before I have a feel for what it really means.  I don't know why everyone does that.  All our files on our computers are shown in bytes.  This whole bits thing is weird.  if you ask me, the only reason the companies advertise in bits is because the number is bigger, so it's more impressive.  My two cents as usual.

f0dder:
So it really isn't 20mbit - I get around 900Kb/s download speeds with a 6.7mbit connection.-Carol Haynes (September 06, 2010, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Keep the TCP/IP overhead in mind. I got 2100KB/s, or 2.150.400 bytes/sec. How fast is 20Mbps - 20.000.000bit/sec or 20.971.520bit/sec? :). Going with the wiki definition, the raw data rate is at 86% of the theoretical speed. Also, an ADSL line has more overhead than just TCP - my connection is through PPPoA.

I guess it could be worth doing the download test again and see what bandwidth the modem reports, that should hopefully be the raw traffic.

If you want to test your speed try www.speedtest.net-Carol Haynes (September 06, 2010, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Already did so, as I mentioned in the preivous post :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version