ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: "VeggieSquares" - Children's Game

<< < (11/14) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Running veggie squares, i could drag around the things but:

* The program was running 27% cpu usage the whole time, making the rest of my computer pretty unresponsive
* The radio boxes for grid size didn't do anything
* I couldn't get anything else to happen
Is there something i'm missing or is this just the current state of the program?
-mouser (January 04, 2011, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi mouser,

No, sadly you are not missing anything.  You are experiencing the program correctly. 

FYI - unfortunately, due to my unfamiliarity with the IDE (or my advancing semi-senility) on Dec. 27th I inadvertently destroyed my source code by overwriting it.  Fortunately and due to help of others I was able to recover about half of the code and had to slap together in three days what took me three weeks to accomplish.  The bottom line was I had to take what I could get and offer the same at present which is a very immature app.

Concerning the CPU usage, am I to understand that even in the task bar it continued to hold the stranglehold?  Hmmm... I never noticed that, but I only had the IDE up when coding most of the time.  I will check it out, but any comments about what I could do would be appreciated.

FYI(2) - I will be working on VeggieSquares consistently until I get it to ver. 1.00, hopefully in a couple of weeks.  The only caveat is I am in the throes of making a decision about continuing in the same BASIC IDE or move to another language (Java, VB.NET, etc.) as a permanent home.  Once I make that decision I will be full-speed ahead!

Thanks for the input,
Calvin   

mouser:
Yeah it pretty much locks up my computer with the high cpu use, whether minimized to taskbar or not.

mouser:
Sometimes it's not an easy decision about whether to release something in a state where it's not finished.  Sometimes we release too early and the result is frustration for users.  Sometimes we release too late and lose out on early feedback.  One thing you might want to consider is if this might be a case where you aren't quite ready for a public release.. Just something to think about.

CodeTRUCKER:
Yeah it pretty much locks up my computer with the high cpu use, whether minimized to taskbar or not.
-mouser (January 04, 2011, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, thanks for the feedback.  I'll see if something isn't deleting/releasing when it should.

FMI - Given that I am "shopping" do you have any knowledge if certain languages keep an eye on things like that?

CodeTRUCKER:
Sometimes it's not an easy decision about whether to release something in a state where it's not finished.  Sometimes we release too early and the result is frustration for users.  Sometimes we release too late and lose out on early feedback.  One thing you might want to consider is if this might be a case where you aren't quite ready for a public release.. Just something to think about.
-mouser (January 04, 2011, 11:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have no problem with waiting except for two things:
<> I was hoping to use the publicity of the annual DC NANY event to get the app in "front" of people.
<> I didn't want to lose my coveted participation award... the Cody Mug!  :)

Regardless, I'll be the first to admit VeggieSquares is not ready for prime time in its present state.  I gave it my best shot. Go ahead and pull it for now.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I really mean that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version