ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: "VeggieSquares" - Children's Game

<< < (9/14) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
I have heard some interest in making VeggieSquares platform-independent.  Since the app is now in BASIC and 32bit at that, would Java (Netbeans?/Eclipse?/Komodo?) be a good candidate language to recode my app?  Please understand, I am speaking from a deep well of ignorance, but I have no time constraints, beside NANY finalization (end of Jan.?).

:feedback:

Perry Mowbray:
beside NANY finalization (end of Jan.?).
-CodeTRUCKER (January 03, 2011, 01:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know that we're being a little less strict this year, but I think that the end of Jan is going way too far!  ;)

You can of course keep developing your application unrestricted at any time after NANY completes (which it has) -- In fact we'd love it if you did! But for NANY we have to draw the line under the Event at some stage. All the screencasts and evaluations will be done on the version present on New Years Day:

I suppose we should say that while tonight is the deadline to get your NANY submission(s) posted and public, because it will take us a week or two to prepare the final page (and screencast videos, and make a press released, etc.),  participants are welcome to keep improving their programs in the interim.

The requirement is that you must have a working public version submitted tonight, but no one is stopping you from continuing to improve it going forward.

(keep in mind that the screencasts, screenshots, and writeups will be based on the submissions on Jan 1, 2011).
--- End quote ---
Quote from Re: NANY 2011 :: Official Update Thread

kyrathaba:
CodeTrucker, if you have a background in this variant of BASIC, probably the easiest language upgrade (in terms of learning/re-learning) would be Visual Basic for .NET.

CodeTRUCKER:
beside NANY finalization (end of Jan.?).
-CodeTRUCKER (January 03, 2011, 01:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know that we're being a little less strict this year, but I think that the end of Jan is going way too far!  ;)
-Perry Mowbray (January 03, 2011, 03:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Whoa!  Now hold on thar, Pardner... Ima thinkin' you dun got th' horse a'fore th' cart!?

All kidding aside, Please note my NANY is already complete (as far as submission is concerned).  See "Last Edit" footer on my NANY page...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 12:34:40 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

Now given....

You can of course keep developing your application unrestricted at any time after NANY completes (which it has) -- In fact we'd love it if you did! But for NANY we have to draw the line under the Event at some stage. All the screencasts and evaluations will be done on the version present on New Years Day:

--- End quote ---

I believe I have the ability to replace the existing *.rar with the new improved version as required; in fact, I believe that is encouraged.

FYI - My comment, "... beside end of Jan.?" was based on the following...

I suppose we should say that while tonight is the deadline to get your NANY submission(s) posted and public, because it will take us a week or two to prepare the final page...

--- End quote ---

Knowing how these things can go, the " end of Jan.?" is not far fetched as a possible time frame to upgrade "VeggieSquares" for public prime time.  You and I both know if things don't go so well as planned the, "...week or two to prepare the final page..." could easily turn into "two or three" or even "three or four," hence my supposition I *might* have until the, "... end of Jan.?" as a possible time opportunity.  I do realize my app will be judged by DC on what was uploaded at the deadline.  No problem here.  Actually, given what I achieved after 40% - 60% of my work was blown away only three days from the deadline, I'm quite happy with what I did submit, even as a beta.

Frankly, I never had any delusions I would win anything, save the coveted Cody Mug!  My interest has always been using the DC publicity as a great platform to get the word out on how important gardening really is and to provide a simple tool that would eliminate the complication and drudgery normally associated with gardening by the masses.  I wanted to make gardening simple and fun!  I think I have achieved that goal.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have get out my trusty "Acme1 Code Polisher" and get to work!

1 - For our non-U.S.A. readers... the "Acme" label was a fictitious company used in the animated cartoons of "Bugs Bunny," "Wile E. Coyote" and others.

CodeTRUCKER:
CodeTrucker, if you have a background in this variant of BASIC, probably the easiest language upgrade (in terms of learning/re-learning) would be Visual Basic for .NET.
-kyrathaba (January 03, 2011, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... Is VB.NET cross-platform?  Maybe you missed what I was requesting?  

A little background to frame the discussion...

Most of my coding has been in VB, but when I saw personally what happened to some coder acquaintances of mine when Microsoft canned VB6 and did the .NET thing, I decided I didn't want Redmond dictating my future, which remains a giant question mark, at best.  As a result, I have sought to find and use other BASIC flavors that were not MS products.  After working for a couple of years and given what I just endured in working with IWBASIC (weak help files and a not-so-robust debugger) I am seriously looking at cutting my losses and moving to a more mainstream language that would have a traction and a wide user base I could draw on when necessary.  

Now, as I said above, I have had some interest expressed in me making my app cross-platform (Win, Mac, Linux).  So I am looking for feedback about how realistic porting my app to Java would be, since I understand Java to be cross-platform.  I am not only interested in if Java, etc. can be useful, but how realistic is actually getting up to speed with it?  For instance, I do not believe it would be wise to try and become a C++ programmer at this stage in my life, but I think I still can learn.  

A lot of my apps I intend require dragging-n-dropping of objects and sprites in a window.

I'm looking for options.

PS - I am in the process of scouring the "what's the best language" threads on DC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version