ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

<< < (53/53)

Gwen7:
i've been generally happy with comodo's offering provided all you use it for is the firewall.

the rest of the "internet security" features comodo bundles in cause more headaches than they're worth imho.

however, if you're sitting behind a hardware home router with basic security features there's also good argument that the built-in firewall that comes with Windows is more than adequate.

CodeTRUCKER:
however, if you're sitting behind a hardware home router with basic security features there's also good argument that the built-in firewall that comes with Windows is more than adequate.
-Gwen7 (September 02, 2010, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
It still is an experiment, but this is what I have lived with for months, but then again I never open any attachment that I do not recognize the sender.  Even if the sender is known (it can be counterfeited) the subject and body must reflect the contact's writing style and habits.  

Oh yeah, I don't go just "surfin'" and download anything I find.

I'll be sure and post back if I get burned.  :onfire:

Armando:
I am almost thrilled by the timing... Just today I got fed up with OA++ and went back to Outpost Security Suite. And now everything is going faster!
-Curt (September 02, 2010, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

So I'm not the only one. I wonder what they did because, really, it worked perfectly for at least 2 years. This really annoys me.

i've been generally happy with comodo's offering provided all you use it for is the firewall.

the rest of the "internet security" features comodo bundles in cause more headaches than they're worth imho.

-Gwen7 (September 02, 2010, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm only interested in the firewall. I still have my license for NOD32 but it's finishing soon and so I'm already experimenting with Microsoft Security Essentials. Really, I like what I see. And the idea that I won't spend a single $ for security is pretty interesting -- especially considering my last experiences.

I use a laptop and so I can't rely only on my router's firewall. Plus, even if many here believe HIPS is stupid useless garbage, I actually find it useful. Just about a month ago, I was sleepy and downloaded some version of clipmagic... I think... Well not sure actually, but I think it was clipmagic or some other free clipboard extendered to try.  Yes, the website seemed funny... But I was sleepy.

Anyway : I installed what I downloaded and the installer started to install a few malware, and these malware instantly started phoning home... And Online Armor instantly blocked  all of these apps. I know they were all blocked as I compared OA's reports with the new *.exe and other files that were installed in the last few minutes.

So here you go. HIPS can be useful (for me at least, maybe not for the other superhumans here) when, once in a while I act stupidly. I'm generally careful, but when I lack sleep, I sometimes do stupid things...  :)

CodeTRUCKER:
So here you go. HIPS can be useful (for me at least, maybe not for the other superhumans here) when, once in a while I act stupidly. I'm generally careful, but when I lack sleep, I sometimes do stupid things...  :)
-Armando (September 02, 2010, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oops!  I'm not superhuman or immune from "stupid."  Maybe I should reconsider.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version