ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

tc1100 tablet pc dies before i've even set it up

(1/17) > >>

nudone:
the tale of the HP tc1100 tablet pc...

bought on ebay for £180.

took 3 weeks for the seller to send me the machine and then he forgot to post me the power supply - had to wait a couple more days for that.

used it for about an hour - just messing about.

thought i'd try windows 7 on it - plugged in my external DVD drive (via usb)

alarming POP! sound from inside the tc1100.

now the machine is dead.

wonderful.

i may just smash the unit it up so i'm not tempted to waste time on it trying to get it to work.

(at least, i can be thankful it wasn't an iPad - but then, i wouldn't have been able to plug an external DVD drive in would i.)

mouser:
very sorry to hear that.. the pop sound does indeed sound like you've got a serious hardware problem.

it could just be a burned out capacitor that you can spot and could be easily replaced by a hardware hacker, but i'm not sure it's worth the money to try to get professionally repaired (definitely one of the risks of ebaying).

assuming it's not still covered by warranty, you might be best off just writing this off as a learning experience and sending it to someone with some hardware hacking skills, or selling it as broken on ebay, but i'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

you could also write the original seller and see if they wouldn't be willing to give back all/some of your money since obviously this isn't fair to you.

Stoic Joker:
I've found that shotguns work wonderfully for that type of "repair".

:D

nudone:
i'm more inclined to put it down to a learning experience. the person i bought it from kept "forgetting" to post the machine out to me - or so it seemed with the very feeble excuses he gave me. so, i won't be wasting time any further with him.

the truth is. it was a spontaneous buy - something i always regret. i did want to see how well the machine performed as a "sketching" device. and, it wasn't too bad with Alias Sketchbook installed.

but, it did demonstrate to me just how good the Wacom Cintiq is that i've got. image quality wise if nothing else.

i thought the tc1100 would be good because of its portability - the Cintiq requires a pc to connect to. it's all wishful thinking, though, as i'd never use the machine much if i'm honest...

...the simple truth, is that a pencil and paper are about 100 times better than these electronic sketching machines - but they have the problem of smudging the paper when you apply "undo" (that's about the best feature of electronic drawing, mistakes just disappear instantly like they never happened.)

anyway, i'll look at the tc1100 when i dare. maybe it's something trivial. if not then i'll post it to any DC member that wants it - maybe someone can do something worthwhile with it.

superboyac:
Man!  I'm really sorry to hear that.  Especially since I'm considering buying their newer version of that very very soon.

Maybe someone here at DC will volunteer to try fixing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version