ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Yet another application tapping into the "cloud" market.

<< < (2/7) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Okay hating technology was a bit broad, maybe it more just the (down the marketing toilet) direction it's going these days. I like computers, and still enjoy working on/with them, but... The whole cell phone/PDA/Epal dependency just irks the hell outa me. Why is it that all of a sudden nobody is allowed to be considered Kewl unless they've got enough electronic gizmos strapped on that they could pass for  :)ing Batman? I-just-don't-get-it...and I'm not sure I want to.

Why the hell do we suddenly seem to need to be entertained/directed/informed/connected every second of every waking minute? Are we that afraid of being lonely? Boredom wasn't really fatal...last time I checked.

superboyac:
Okay hating technology was a bit broad, maybe it more just the (down the marketing toilet) direction it's going these days. I like computers, and still enjoy working on/with them, but... The whole cell phone/PDA/Epal dependency just irks the hell outa me. Why is it that all of a sudden nobody is allowed to be considered Kewl unless they've got enough electronic gizmos strapped on that they could pass for  :)ing Batman? I-just-don't-get-it...and I'm not sure I want to.

Why the hell do we suddenly seem to need to be entertained/directed/informed/connected every second of every waking minute? Are we that afraid of being lonely? Boredom wasn't really fatal...last time I checked.
-Stoic Joker (September 01, 2010, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
Haha, yes, I agree.  I'm actually trying to go as minimalist as possible.  Except (a big exception) for my home computer, that thing is a beast and does everything.  But as far as cell phones and all those gadgets, I like them, I think they're fun and all, I just don't have a need for them which is why I've never purchased them yet.  I hate to be one of those "good ol days" curmudgeons, but seriously, I think people are comically afraid of peacefulness...what you're calling boredom I'm calling peaceful times.  People just have a hard time not doing anything and just thinking or relaxing.  Just chill people!  I went to a great jazz show the other day and one of my friends was constantly texting the whole time.  Just couldn't keep his thumb off that iphone.  I find a lot of people my age and younger are a little....spazzy.  They always are looking to have fun.  The irony is that they never find it even when they think they do.  All I want is some peacefulness.

Stoic Joker:
I hate to be one of those "good ol days" curmudgeons, but seriously, I think people are comically afraid of peacefulness...what you're calling boredom I'm calling peaceful times.  People just have a hard time not doing anything and just thinking or relaxing.-superboyac (September 01, 2010, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually I used the term boredom to be sarcastic, so we are indeed on the same page there. And at 45 I've already resigned myself to becoming a curmudgeon as the inevitability has become rather clear. I'm Okay with it. :)

superboyac:
I hate to be one of those "good ol days" curmudgeons, but seriously, I think people are comically afraid of peacefulness...what you're calling boredom I'm calling peaceful times.  People just have a hard time not doing anything and just thinking or relaxing.-superboyac (September 01, 2010, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually I used the term boredom to be sarcastic, so we are indeed on the same page there. And at 45 I've already resigned myself to becoming a curmudgeon as the inevitability has become rather clear. I'm Okay with it. :)
-Stoic Joker (September 01, 2010, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know exactly what you mean.  My nickname at my previous job was "funkiller".

superboyac:
OK, i'm going to start using dropbox.  I've heard nothing but good things about it.
[edit]
although...I'd love to figure out how to set up my home computer to work like dropbox without actually using dropbox.  In other words, I don't want to use their servers.  Can I do a setup on XP using mapped drives or something like that?  I'd need it to work over the internet somehow, but it needs to act like a regular folder, not an ftp site or anything like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version