ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

27 Good Reasons to Love Linux

<< < (5/9) > >>

f0dder:
The article doesn't claim exclusivity or perfection for Linux, just a list of reasons to give it a try.-zridling (September 01, 2010, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
And some of those "reasons" are the same old tired unsubstantiated FUD...

Guys like f0dder see that as a call to yet another flame war. Jeez, start a blog, for your rants are so tired by now.-zridling (September 01, 2010, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's not about flame wars, it's about calling bullshit when I see it.

Deozaan:
I already love Linux. At least the idea of it. I haven't tested out many distros besides Ubuntu because I don't have a test machine that I'm willing to deal with multiple HDD wipes and fresh installs of Linux at this time. Ubuntu can be installed and removed straight from Windows as if it were another program, so that makes it very accessible to me.

Sure, there are Live CDs of distros but (maybe this is my ignorance speaking) it's just not the same as a real install.

I can only speak for myself and my own experiences, but even though I already like Linux I have to disagree and say that some of those 27 reasons are not good reasons to love Linux.

In my opinion, there are plenty of good reasons to love Linux and it isn't necessary to lie or use false stereotypes to try to make Linux look better. Linux has many fine qualities that stand on their own.

f0dder:
In my opinion, there are plenty of good reasons to love Linux and it isn't necessary to lie or use false stereotypes to try to make Linux look better. Linux has many fine qualities that stand on their own.-Deozaan (September 01, 2010, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Word :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
Btw, I've just spent some hours test-driving Mint 9, and the first impressions are pretty good - but there's still plenty of rough edges, and nothing has changed wrt. my above comments (except for dual-monitor support working out of the box and being easy to configure with this distro). I'm considering posting a review sometime, after I've played around more with it.

MrCrispy:
Didn't see 1 big reason mentioned - Live cd's !!

Whether its system rescue,, tv recording (myth), htpc (xbmc) or a million other specialized use cases, you can find a Linux live cd for it. And they fit on a usb, boot and run faster than Windows. I'd never use Linux for a desktop os (no need really and it'd take me 3x to get stuff done as I'm not familiar) but there are plenty of Linux distro's I use.

Another reason - the regular flame wars over Linux are almost always informative :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version