ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Micro Reviews of Board Games From a Non-Competetive Perspective

<< < (11/20) > >>

mouser:
Just wondering, based on your reviews of Settlers of Catan and Heroscape, if the two could be blended; combine the fast-action gameplay of Heroscape with the simpler map and social aspects of Settlers?
--- End quote ---

it's a great idea.. the "small battlefield" idea is often called a "skirmish" game mechanic.

mouser:
Ok another mini board game review for you.

One of my recent favorite two-player head-to-head games is Summoner Wars:

People have called Summoner Wars a "miniatures" game played with cards -- essentially players square off against each other moving around an army of units that are represented by cards.  It's a little like chess except with a very heavy fantasy theme, and a huge variety of unique cards and assymetric abilities (each player has a different army with different abilities).

It's one of those games that hits a sweet spot for people who are addicted to variety because the sets come with tons of different factions you can choose from to represent your army, all of which play *very* differently.

It shares some of the same feel as Magic the Gathering, but on a spatial map.  You can buy tons of additional sets of armies, and if you get really into the game you can construct your own custom decks (not for me) but this isn't a "collectible" game like Magic so there is no issue of rare and expensive cards.

I'm not a fan of overly complex and fiddly rules, and this game is definitely manageable, unlike similar games i've looked at, and it's very fast to setup and tear down.

Very fun stuff, highly recommended.

phitsc:
This looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing! You know how this would be played with more than 2 players?

mouser:
It can be played with 4 players using 2 sets, but no one really plays it with other than 2 players as far as i can tell.

phitsc:
Played it today with my 9-year-old daughter. We both played it for the first time. She won :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version