ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

wireless (wifi) network connection manager with saved profiles

<< < (2/5) > >>

4wd:
Found another one hiding on my pc: Eusing Free IP Switcher

superboyac:
Thanks 4wd, I really appreciate it.  I've been away working on an intense project and I feel tired.  I'm going to try all those programs as soon as i get the chance.

superboyac:
OK, I have a more specific question.  These managers are ok and I'm happy with what they do.  I'm using Mobile Net Switch and it's good.

But, is there a software that actually takes over the wifi configuration that Windows/Intel uses?  These managers manage the connection, but they still are using the Windows/Intel windows and dialogs for the actual configuration.  I want a whole new interface.  Something easier, something more intuitive, something more simple and elegant.

4wd:
But, is there a software that actually takes over the wifi configuration that Windows/Intel uses?  These managers manage the connection, but they still are using the Windows/Intel windows and dialogs for the actual configuration.  I want a whole new interface.  Something easier, something more intuitive, something more simple and elegant.-superboyac (August 31, 2010, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, the easiest one I ever found for WiFi config was................XPs standard Wireless Configuration Control Panel.

I have a few dongles here, everyone of them comes with its own manufacturers' WiFi settings program and everyone of them is a PITA compared to XPs.

My friend rang me up one day asking about how to set up a wireless link he was having trouble with between a PC with Netgear WG111 dongle and a router with WiFi - he'd been trying for over an hour.  I told him to uninstall Netgears settings program and use the XP Wireless Config, he didn't believe me but in less than a minute it was working.

It's not elegant but it is simple, easy and intuitive IMHO.

However, the Wireless Configuration they shipped in Vista was a complete dogs breakfast - it took my friend and I ~30 minutes just to get his laptop to connect to my WEP encrypted router.  It really is crap.

Windows 7 I can't comment on because I haven't used its Wireless Config at all.

EDIT: And now I can comment on W7 - it's as bad as Vista.

superboyac:
^^This is exactly what I'm talking about.  You are right on the money.  I was just talking about this last week with my friend who bought a Mac last year.  He specifically showed me how on a mac, when it detects a new connection, all that happens is a box pops up asking for the wifi password, and BAM you are connected.  That's what I'm talking about.  I have never seen it that easy or even close to it on any PC.  This is why Mac will keep gaining ground.  I don't know how Win7 is, but on XP, it's stupid.  And yes, the XP configuration dialog is probably the best of the bunch out there.  And that's sad because it's pretty bad.  There MUST be a program out there that does this better, I have to believe that...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version