ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ultimate insult from fraudulent ebay seller tries to sell me iPhone 4

<< < (3/5) > >>

nudone:
thanks for the tips, 4wd. i didn't realise it could be used for eBay too. (i won't be carrying it with me though. i just want to make sure my account isn't being accessed by other people.)

app, don't know what to say. PayPal has always resolved things sensibly for me - so i can't really complain. it does sounds odd that you can't "donate" what are all the DC transactions classed as. maybe mouser can enlighten us more.

app103:
app, don't know what to say. PayPal has always resolved things sensibly for me - so i can't really complain. it does sounds odd that you can't "donate" what are all the DC transactions classed as. maybe mouser can enlighten us more.
-nudone (August 16, 2010, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not every donation that is getting mislabeled this way. And so far none of the DC transactions to me have had this problem. But it is something that makes me very nervous when I cash out credits now, since the penalty fee paypal charged me was based on the amount sent to me, and it could have been a lot more if the original donation was bigger.

I lost $1.28 because some kind person tried to donate $25.00  to me. They got their $25.00 back in full, paypal made $1.28 because they kept the money they made from taking their cut of the initial transaction, and then rather than refunding that fee from their pocket, they took it out of mine. Otherwise the donor would have only got 23.72 back. I ended up with a smaller balance and a warning when it was all over. Something wrong with that...seriously wrong.

Renegade:
@app103 -- That is extremely wonky. Have you tried calling PayPal? They actually do answer the phone.

app103:
@app103 -- That is extremely wonky. Have you tried calling PayPal? They actually do answer the phone.
-Renegade (August 16, 2010, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I haven't actually called them (I hate phones) but the donor did during this "dispute" and got nowhere with them.

Mark0:
the big problem is: how to prevent this kind of thing happening again. i'm careful online...

...is that still not good enough?-nudone (August 16, 2010, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it have nothing to do with passwords & credential of your PayPal account.
If I'm not mistaking, a PayPal user can send a "request for money" to another PayPal user simply knowing his PayPal id, that usually equal to his email address. So probably this scammer simply sent thousands of similar requests around, like your typical spammer. And that may also explain why PayPal quickly fixed the situation (the scammer was already known).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version