ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Micropayments to DonationCoder could be possible through new PayPal service

(1/4) > >>

superticker:
PayPal is going to introduce a new, low-cost, micropayment service. This would allow making small payments to DonationCoder instead of using DonationCredits as it does now. Yahoo news article: PayPal introduces micropayment service

Honestly, I don't mind using DonationCredits. I usually buy some (say $25 worth) when I want to donate for a new software program I'm using. I give $20 for the program, and I keep the other $5 for future individual donations.

I wonder if the PayPal micropayment service would be more popular than the DonationCredits that DonationCoder uses now? Not everyone uses PayPal, although many people do.

mouser:
Very interesting!

I'm anxious to read more details, and i think the world would be a better place if one of these micro-payment systems takes off and hits the mainstream.

I have written before that i think the key thing is not the "micro" small amount part, but making it trivial, safe, and fast to send money.  PayPal has already gone a long way to doing that, so this could be a nice step forward.

Renegade:
HALLELUJAH~!
There is a God~!
All is not lost~!
There is hope for humanity~!
Check this~!

PayPal offers support for Micropayments to merchants for US to US, GB to GB, AU to AU, and EU to EU transactions for Business and Premier accounts. This feature is offered at a special rate of 5% + $0.05 per transaction.
--- End quote ---

While being fast & easy is crucial, actually having micropayments available from a trusted company like PayPal is revolutionary~!

This will change the face of the Internet for so many people. It will make it possible for developers and content producers to sell things at a reasonable price and to monetize what otherwise had to be free. This will make it possible to do so much more than is possible now.

So basically, you can offer something for $0.25 now, and take home almost $0.20! Before you'd end up in the hole.

Really, I think this is a fantastic thing for everyone.

Thank you for posting that~!

Renegade:
This makes it possible to offer software on new terms to developing economies where you simply could not sell anything. Now, for very small amounts, you can offer software on a lease basis for small amounts of time, like a week for $0.50 or $1.00 or whatever. This makes it affordable! It opens whole new markets!

Wow! The possibilities are just staggering~!

app103:
If they make this really easy to do, this could be huge for bloggers and potentially pay better than pay-per-click ads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version