ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Goodbye all, I'm out of here effective immediately

<< < (10/16) > >>

Tuxman:
Well, I must have misread something then, but the latest thing I've read was "well, it's about 10% anyway, so what?". Sorry if I misunderstood.

Cpilot:
You know I've been reading this thread with a mixture of amusement and sadness at the same time and it just reinforces something that I've believed for a while.
So I'm going to take a moment and go off topic just a little bit.
The GPL itself is stupid and evil.
There I said it......if someone releases their code into the wild it's naive to believe, no matter how it's licensed, that some one....somewhere...will not create derivative works from it.
Even if that code inspires someone to go in a completely different direction from what it was initially created to do the inclusion of one line allows others to claim some kind of infringement and stifles further creativity based upon whatever minuscule amount of GPL code used as a base.
IMO any code that is released into the wild should have one, and only one, restriction....and that is that some acknowledgement be made to the originator for any derivative works springing from it.

Because all the GPL does in my experience is cause these kinds of melt downs.

My 2 cents.

Tuxman:
In theory it's easy:
If you want to make money, don't use stuff licensed under the GPL.

A counter-example:
Adobe Photoshop is non-free software, however anyone - anywhere - will distribute free copies of it to the general public. So is it pointless to say "it is commercial software"?

Markham:
Well, I must have misread something then, but the latest thing I've read was "well, it's about 10% anyway, so what?". Sorry if I misunderstood.
-Tuxman (August 12, 2010, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

If that's how you perceived my words, then it is I who should apologise for the lack of clarity in my post. The version that was available until 2 days ago contains around 10% original GPL code and I'm in the process of rewriting that part so that there will be no GPL code whatsoever in any future versions I release.

--------------------------------

The last week or so have been trying for all of us and particularly so for those of us closest to the problem. Whether we agree on issues or not, I want to thank you all for your input, advice and for posting your concerns. If there have been any shortcomings on my part, then I apologise for those. If I appear to have lost my temper with some of you, then I'm sorry; I didn't mean to.

Many of you have offered good advice and I am very grateful for that.

I especially want to thank "lotusrootsearch" whose incredible generosity means Circle Dock's future in both GPL and non-GPL (advanced) versions is assured. The GPL version, with full source code, will continue to be both hosted and supported here. There is, however, a caveat: Eric Wong's source archive (and binaries) does contain proprietary (non-GPL) units (DLLs) for which source code is not (and can not) be provided.

After an almost four-hour IM session with the Sarge last night (my time), I have agreed to remove some of the bugs in Eric Wong's preview release (v0.9.2 Alpha 8.2) to make it a stable release and this, with the source code, will be available via this Forum (and Circle Dock's home page at wikidot) as soon as I have time. We do not have access to the Circle Dock Project page on SourceForge so are unable to update there. We will also re-release Eric Wong's last stable release (v0.9.1) in both binary and source forms. I hope you will understand that my main thrust will be geared to the semi-commercial (100% non-GPL code) version which will be hosted elsewhere, therefore the time available for the GPL version will be somewhat restricted: but I will do my best.

Some time over the next few days, I will post a technical note with an overview of the inner workings of the GPL'd version for the benefit of all who download and want to play around with the source code.

I hope you all find this compromise both acceptable and appealing.

Mark

Markham:
Adobe Photoshop is non-free software, however anyone - anywhere - will distribute free copies of it to the general public. So is it pointless to say "it is commercial software"?
-Tuxman (August 12, 2010, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting you should mention Adobe. It is a founder member of FAST - the Federation Against Software Theft - which has had some notable successes in prosecuting individuals and organisations found to be distributing software illegally.

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version