ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Goodbye all, I'm out of here effective immediately

<< < (2/16) > >>

sgtevmckay:
This is a heart breaking day  :(
For all of us.  :(

I am the one that placed the various notices and locked the various posts, in order to stop and protect DC.
It would have been inappropriate to continue those discussions, but I also wanted to make sure that any potential End User did not just get met with a blank 404 url without an explanation.
So in this I am also a party that must take blame.

Eric's code and downloads can still be obtained through Source forge and I will also be restoring the wikidot page as well, as soon as I can.
I will continue to support Eric Wong's Version, as I have done, but it will not be the same, and support for any existing versions of Markham's version will not be supported here, as it would be highly inappropriate.

Assuming I will be welcome as a a DC member
I will go through and prune the Circle Dock posts as soon as I can, with approval from Mouser and or Gothc

I would also like to place a call for coders, with a full explanation of what a coder/programmer would be getting into. Bottom line everything clearly so that any future programmers will know what they are getting into and what is expected.

I feel greatly responsible for this entire situation, and I make my apologies to not only Markham, but all of the DC Community  :-[

mouser:
Ok I talked to gothic -- he said he did delete a few extra files that he thought were CircleDock downloads.  He has now restored all the files he deleted except for the CircleDock setup programs.  if you find that other files are still missing please let me know.

In retrospect, given that the executables had been hosted for so long i probably should have just left them there for a bit longer and asked you to remove them on your own; it's not the first time i've done something thinking it wasn't a big deal and ended up offending someone. I'm sorry for what must have felt like a purposeful disregard of your privacy.  In the heat of the moment it seemed to me after reading the long thread about the gpl and talking to gothic, that the right thing to do was to immediately remove the exe and notify you guys and take it from there.  that was a judgement call that i made, and i may have been wrong in doing so.

mouser:
i think one lesson for all of us coders is to read source code licenses careful and make sure we understand the restrictions.  and if we are coding something, to take more care in choosing a license for our code.

and as dc members and admins, we need to do a better job of watching out for possible license issues BEFORE they get to the point where there is a problem.  i think the truth is that if in the very beginning someone how pointed out that according to the license, source code needed to be released with each new improvement of circledock, we never would have gotten to this point and none of this bad stuff would have happened.  our poor experience with such issues is partly to blame for this whole misunderstanding/dilema.

Eóin:
Has anyone tried to contact Eric and ask if he'd by happy to relicense the original code, possibly just to a select set of developers such as sgtevmckay and Markham, to allow the closed source derivative? Lots of code is dual licensed under a GPL and commercial license.

40hz:
It's an unfortunate state of affairs, but also not completely unexpected when emotions start running as high as they seem to be running for some members. At such times, it's all too easy to misinterpret the intentions and actions of others - and occasionally burn a few too many bridges in the wake of getting upset. Not that there's anything to say new bridges can't be built afterwards. But it does take time and  certain personal willingness to get things back to where they were before.    

I'm hoping that time will provide some perspective, clear up any misunderstandings, and mend those wounded feelings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version