ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Goodbye all, I'm out of here effective immediately

<< < (8/16) > >>

Markham:
It's about having some integrity, which Markham seems to have decided to compromise for the sake of money. The support from this community isn't good enough for him. The money donated by members that don't even use CD isn't good enough for him. He really doesn't appreciate the donations of anyone that gave him money to support the project but never used it, and as someone that has supported many projects for things I do not use, I find that kind of insulting.-app103 (August 12, 2010, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

You may think what you wish but do not expect me to allow you to write such contentious nonsense in this Forum without some form of strongly-worded response.

How dare you accuse me of (effectively) abandoning my integrity for the sake of money. Who the hell do you think you are to make such baseless accusations? You seem to have selective memory: I have publicly thanked all those who so generously donated to me personally, not once, not twice, but several times. Just so you're aware, your donation - if I were to receive it - would pay for one-fifth of one day's Internet connection charges - that's right, I have to pay the equivalent of $150 per month for a stable connection here. I have not made one penny from Circle Dock - rather it has cost me a considerable sum of money to date.

Since January, there have been literally hundreds of thousands of Circle Dock downloads. Strangely enough, not one of the more than three-quarters of a million downloaders have contacted either the Sarge or I regarding the source code. You say you downloaded Circle Dock in May but only this week have you made any mention of the fact. I would suggest to you that you didn't give its absence a second thought until you read of the new license provisions this week and you're now doing so to stir-up trouble and make me - and the Sarge - to be the bad guys here. It won't work.

Mark

app103:
$150 a month for a stable connection for what? To host the Circle Dock site? I don't remember mouser charging you a dime for hosting. I remember him providing that for free.

You are crying that the users are not covering your monthly internet bill? They don't cover mine either, and mine is quite cheap and unstable. I am lucky if they cover the cost of renewing my domain names each year.

Today I received my first donation in months. And it was a whopper sized one, too...a whole $10.

Put that with the rest of the donations I received this year, none of which had anything to do with my software, and I am only about $70 short of the amount I need to renew my 4 domain names at the end of next month. Wait, make that $71, since I did donate to you, along with an explanation of why I gave you the amount I did. It's the same amount I have given plenty of others, along with the same reason. And you know what I said is 100% true.

Just so you're aware, your donation - if I were to receive it - would pay for one-fifth of one day's Internet connection charges - that's right, I have to pay the equivalent of $150 per month for a stable connection here.
--- End quote ---

I didn't give you enough? You want more from me? You want one of the domain names that I won't be able to afford to renew? Don't make me feel bad for giving you anything at all.

And I did ask sarge about the source back in May. That was when I got the "Markham decided that nobody can have it because of the Chinese" excuse. It has been bugging me ever since, and yes, bugging me more after reading your recent announcement.

I am a digital packrat and an archivist. Anyone that knows me well knows I collect stuff most people do not. I have a museum of forgotten software on my hard drive, Tons of stuff you probably never heard of and versions that are near impossible to find. I have one of the largest repositories of 3rd party code related to the WinMX network, including an MXchat Delphi component that nobody else but the developer and myself has a copy of (and I am not even sure if she has a copy any more). I have the tweet histories of the 100 most popular twitter users in CSV, along with screenshots of their profiles, a copy of the background file, and a copy of their avatar, enough to rebuild an important part of twitter for posterity should it ever disappear. Why do I collect this stuff? Because some day someone might need it or have a good use for it, even if I never will.

I didn't ask for the source because I want to make money off it. I didn't ask for the source because I want to stir up trouble. I asked for it because I want to add it to that collection before you disappear off into payware land with the code for what should be an open source project. And if bringing up the topic is stirring up trouble, it's only because you violated the GPL and didn't provide it to everyone that downloaded it. You even went so far as contacting a lawyer to discuss your chances of getting away with violating the GPL.

Don't tell me you didn't know it was a GPL project. And don't tell me that you didn't know that open source means you have to provide the source. You knew all along, and you knew that withholding the source was wrong. How could you not?

I would suggest to you that you didn't give its absence a second thought until you read of the new license provisions this week and you're now doing so to stir-up trouble and make me - and the Sarge - to be the bad guys here. It won't work.
-Markham (August 12, 2010, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sarge is not the bad guy here. You are. And I am not trying to make you the bad guy. You succeeded in doing that yourself. And for as long as I do not have the source that I am entitled to, under a GPL compatible license, you will continue to be the bad guy in my mind, in the minds of anyone that believes in open source, and in the minds of anyone that has any respect for the original wishes of Eric Wong who released his source under a GPL license. And if I never get the source then you will be the bad guy forever. It does work. You make it work.

Clarification: When I said this year's donations didn't cover the cost of my domain names, I was not stating that I could not afford to renew them. I have enough to cover it, because I am smart enough not to spend all my donation credits foolishly, and I keep a reserve amount in there for situations like this. Combined with the generosity of a few that read this post, I have now received enough this year to cover it. Do not worry, the renewals are not a problem. Thank you very much.  :)

Archon of Fate:
come on Markham and App, calm down... this whole situation will not be resolved through mudslinging and insults. let us come to a compromise... anger is understandable on both sides but I know all to well what damage it can do to a situation... let us just walk away from this for a little while and approach it with a fresh angle later

Tuxman:
According to the GPL v1, v2 and v3, even if one single line in an application is licensed under the GPL, the whole application has to be GPL-licensed. Any other use is illegal.

sgtevmckay:
come on Markham and App, calm down... this whole situation will not be resolved through mudslinging and insults. let us come to a compromise... anger is understandable on both sides but I know all to well what damage it can do to a situation... let us just walk away from this for a little while and approach it with a fresh angle later
-Archon of Fate (August 12, 2010, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe AoF Has spoken well here.
I am almost, almost, of the opinion that there is nothing further gained, and constructive thought and criticism has apparently gone on some sort of vacation!

To the point that when I went to bed things were "OK" and when I wake up this morning I was the enemy of fun, and the harbinger of censorship.

I really want to rant and rave at many of you for your inconsideration towards my actions and not even considering the "Why" of the actions taken. I find that I am very disturbed by how quickly folks in the community were to condemn action without proper knowledge of the situation.
This is not many nor in the majority, but I have come to the stunning conclusion of  "What's the point?"
It would almost seem that there are some elements that want nothing more than a fight or to express themselves in some incoherent manner, where the meaning of their position becomes lost in their fervor of the moment.

Yes; I have locked some posts, and these will remain locked, as I feel that continuing these conversations is not in the best interest of the community, and may be subject to certain forms of scrutiny that may not be wanted in our community.
I even had Mouser restore the comments that I had deleted.

I honestly thought that we were better, that DC is Better, that as a community we are all better.
better than one incident condemning me, better than one person leaving and going his own way would leave behind such anger, Better than reducing ourselves to petty pissing matches.

Are we not better???

Things were being learned and explored yesterday, and today it is little different than watching some of those damned Political Commercials!
It would be Better if this post could be locked, but I will not do this, as apparently it is more important that such hate and discontent continues, rather than identifying that all there is to be learned has been learned, and drawing a line in the sand that says; This is enough!

I feel we should all be better and above a lot of this, all of us.

This is my final post on this thread, as I feel there is nothing more to be gained but further antagonism.
This is not what DC is about!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version