ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ultimate insult from fraudulent ebay seller tries to sell me iPhone 4

<< < (5/5)

nudone:
ugh. i'd not considered identity theft. ouch. ouch. ouch. that's going to give me nightmares if i spot something else amiss with my accounts.

it does sound like PayPal must have access to some database history on you (on us all, if that's the case). with "confidential" information being passed around these days, to anyone that pays the right price i guess that's how PP have done it - as a "security" feature for our benefit, of course.

the small purchase to keep activity hidden by an intruder makes sense - so, i'm thankful that PP does have a system in place to detect even these small transactions, if they appear odd.

Stoic Joker:
it is true that the "security questions" i've been asked to select and answer are never that difficult to guess - that is, by someone who knows me, knows my history. i'm not sure a total stranger could guess them; perhaps it is best to simply concoct a set of fantasy answers to your own security questions - that way, there will never be any history of them for someone to find (or guess).-nudone (August 18, 2010, 03:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
As long as you can keep your fantasy life straight, yes that is a good plan (That I've used to an extent).

The thing in my case is I had not set or been asked to pre-set up any security questions they used.  And if I had, I would not have used, or for that matter even thought of using, a 14 year old previous address or year & make of my wife's (joint titled) car.  And I know I've never used either of these two things as a security question anywhere before.-bob99 (August 19, 2010, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

The DMV has a website for online renewals - this site has a search function.

90% of hacking is Social Engineering. You start with a name, do a property search, now you have a list of addresses.

What schools are in that district? (oops!)

What are their mascotts? (oops!)

Does the school's website have a section for the faculty (most do)
Does this section show the how the faculty has changed over the years (not uncommon)

Approximate the age/year target went through school, cross out the ones that look like a bitch, how many choices for "Favorite Teacher's name" are there now? (shit!)

On the amount of money that was trying to be accessed, I've read before in some cases if outsiders get access to an account of some type, or many accounts of a number of people, they make relatively small purchases.  Small purchases can slip through easier.  And a bunch of small purchases can add up to more $$ than wiping out one big account.-bob99 (August 19, 2010, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version