ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone have a nice, clean XP theme that I can download?

(1/5) > >>

superboyac:
I'm looking for someone to give me a theme for XP that has really nice fonts and clean design.  I'm not looking for some crazy colors or backgrounds, more so the fonts.  I know I can go tweak everything myself, but I first wanted to see if someone has already done that.

The default fonts are super ugly, even with cleartype on.  Why does everything look better on a mac?  What fonts are they using?  I tried using gdipp, but I don't think it's for xp and all the applications had errors with it (ALL of them).  Is it me or is Tahoma ugly?  And even Arial looks really bad in MS Word.  I don't know if you can tell from the screenshot, but it looks lame:

tomos:
well, to me the best XP theme is classic (modified)
I like my current one which I've had at least 6 months now
I guess I'm cheating a bit if I show Dopus which I did have to be tweak a lot to 'fit in'

Re fonts I'm not much help I guess cause I'm still using Tahoma in the windows theme. No idea what I'm using in Dopus, probably default
I changed all the icons to Tango using 'Tango Patcher' - after reboot it always tells me some didnt take and do I want to reboot - I dont have the option to tell it not to show the message again, so everytime I have to click [No Way Do I Want To Reboot]
I have grey desktop & grey 'backdrop' within apps - which had to be custom-added to dopus viewer and viewer pane

edit: made image thumbnail

superboyac:
That's nice!  I'm actually more concerned about the fonts than anything else.
I do like what you've done on the left there..what is that, by the way?  Are those drives?  Did you just take the drive buttons and stack them vertically?  it looks like you have a couple of things there that are not drives.  how did you do that?
I like that because now that I think about it, I don't really use the tree, so it's just wasting space.  I should just use something like you.

Eóin:
Personally I install the new Vista cleartype fonts on my XP machines and then set Candara or Calibri as the main application font. The trend these days seems to be towards using a larger default fontsize. Vista and even Ubuntu are very guilty of that. I find using a small fontsize makes things look much more elegant.

I don't really use XP these days, so my Win7 setup won't help you much. But I recommend checking out lassekongo83's deviantART gallery of XP styles.

superboyac:
I've been considering upgrading to Windows 7.  I like the calibri font.  I think you're right, things are looking nicer when they are bigger.  back in the crt monitor days, I liked things small to maximize screen space.  but now, monitors are so large and I have dual 24" monitors, that larger fonts make sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version