ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which archive software are we using in 2010 (and why)?

<< < (13/16) > >>

fenixproductions:
WinRAR for me because of:
 - the best speed/size ratio,
 - nice command line support,
 - file names encryption (SQX had that but died).

Deozaan:
WinRAR for me because of:
 - the best speed/size ratio,
 - nice command line support,
 - file names encryption (SQX had that but died).
-fenixproductions (August 20, 2010, 08:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have (much) experience with either of these, but 7-Zip also has command-line support (not sure how good it is) and file name encryption.

fenixproductions:
I don't have (much) experience with either of these, but 7-Zip also has command-line support (not sure how good it is) and file name encryption.-Deozaan (August 20, 2010, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
Now I feel ashamed because for password protection I could swear the opposite. When was it added? Has "error recovery" feature been added too? Either way speed issue remains.

It seems I am too much behind :(

Deozaan:
I don't have (much) experience with either of these, but 7-Zip also has command-line support (not sure how good it is) and file name encryption.-Deozaan (August 20, 2010, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
Now I feel ashamed because for password protection I could swear the opposite. When was it added? Has "error recovery" feature been added too? Either way speed issue remains.
-fenixproductions (August 20, 2010, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know when those options were added and I don't know if it has any "error recovery" features. I know it can check to make sure archives are valid, but I suspect that's not what you mean.

tslim:
However you do not seem to grok that the bottleneck in my complete work-flow is the internet connection...
-Shades (August 13, 2010, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
I understand internet connection speed is the bottleneck and I also understand in your case, the best archiver will be the one which compresses the most.

However, no archive utility relies on internet connection to do its job, so a measure which is based on internet connection speed can not be used to judge how good an archive program is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version