ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which archive software are we using in 2010 (and why)?

<< < (10/16) > >>

superboyac:
Wow, so I finally "met" someone who works with those enormous files I always hear about.

I always find it funny that a lot of software will add a feature and say "We can now handle >2GB text files."  And I always wonder, "Who the heck is dealing with these enormous files on a regular basis?"

f0dder:
Btw, what about keeping yesterday's database dump, and only sending a (compressed) diff of today's + yesterday's? Needs a fair amount of disk space, sure, but might be worth it? Diffing's going to take CPU time, but should be well worth it in reduced compression time, if the diffing means a substantially reduced dataset to compress...

mwb1100:
they found it quicker and less expensive to just dump to encrypted external hard drives and have them delivered on a rotating schedule by secure courier.
-40hz (August 12, 2010, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Reminds me of something Tanenbaum quipped about in his "Computer Networks" text:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
-Andrew S. Tanenbaum
--- End quote ---

Shades:
7-zip here. I regularly have to download database dump files. The biggest one is a 200GByte database and it is always made available to me as a rar-archive...of 16+ GByte. -Shades (August 11, 2010, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that's a MAN'S file there, baby!  :P
-zridling (August 11, 2010, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Muy macho! I like it!!!

I have a client that regularly transfers huge files, although none are anywhere near as big as 200Gb.

But in their case, they found it quicker and less expensive to just dump to encrypted external hard drives and have them delivered on a rotating schedule by secure courier.

-40hz (August 12, 2010, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately not an option for me...or do you know a very cheap intercontinental courier that delivers within a day?

Post is something funny here in Paraguay anyway. Items/letters send to me take either 3 days or 3 months to arrive. And no, there is no difference between priority post or normal post. It just comes when it comes.

Sure, there's going to be size differences between RAR and 7z, both are improved every now and then... but 16 vs 7 gigs sounds like too much

--- End quote ---
Fortunately it isn't.

I believe you are right about the dump that I receive in RAR format is not packed using the most extreme settings RAR has to offer.
But still, I expect 7-zip to be at least 30% to 50% more efficient than anything winRAR can bring to the table. Regarding my dumpfiles that is.

Jibz:
I believe you are right about the dump that I receive in RAR format is not packed using the most extreme settings RAR has to offer.
But still, I expect 7-zip to be at least 30% to 50% more efficient than anything winRAR can bring to the table. Regarding my dumpfiles that is.
-Shades (August 12, 2010, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

One thing that might affect it is the window size. WinRAR only supports up to 4 MB there, where 7-Zip can go up to 1 GB apparently (?). If your log files contain recurring events that are further apart than 4 MB, WinRAR will do worse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version