ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which archive software are we using in 2010 (and why)?

<< < (9/16) > >>

Shades:
7-zip here. I regularly have to download database dump files. The biggest one is a 200GByte database and it is always made available to me as a rar-archive...of 16+ GByte.

After unpacking it and re-archiving it with 7-zip (in extreme mode) by using a self-made script, I only have to download 7+ GByte. That difference is a huge one for me and unless winRAR can do the same trick I will take a look at it again.

Now I do agree that both archivers are great at what they do...and also agree that the interface of winRAR is as least as ugly as the one from 7-zip. 

zridling:
7-zip here. I regularly have to download database dump files. The biggest one is a 200GByte database and it is always made available to me as a rar-archive...of 16+ GByte. -Shades (August 11, 2010, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that's a MAN'S file there, baby!  :P

f0dder:
After unpacking it and re-archiving it with 7-zip (in extreme mode) by using a self-made script, I only have to download 7+ GByte. That difference is a huge one for me and unless winRAR can do the same trick I will take a look at it again.-Shades (August 11, 2010, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds like the compression settings haven't been cranked to the max? Remember that there's both the "Compression method" as well as "Dictionary size" (under the advanced options).

Sure, there's going to be size differences between RAR and 7z, both are improved every now and then... but 16 vs 7 gigs sounds like too much :)

CWuestefeld:
So is there anybody out there that would really object if archives were delivered in .7z format?

40hz:
7-zip here. I regularly have to download database dump files. The biggest one is a 200GByte database and it is always made available to me as a rar-archive...of 16+ GByte. -Shades (August 11, 2010, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that's a MAN'S file there, baby!  :P
-zridling (August 11, 2010, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Muy macho! I like it!!!

I have a client that regularly transfers huge files, although none are anywhere near as big as 200Gb.

But in their case, they found it quicker and less expensive to just dump to encrypted external hard drives and have them delivered on a rotating schedule by secure courier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version