ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which archive software are we using in 2010 (and why)?

<< < (6/16) > >>

Deozaan:
I use 7-Zip. Mostly because it does everything I ever needed WinRAR for (and more) and doesn't nag me to buy it.

I've also found that the .7z format gets better compression than what I get using RAR, so that's a plus.

Lashiec:
My main tool is WinRAR because it is the only archiver that goes beyond simple file compression (creating different archives per file or folder, and deleting the source files after compression are invaluable features). I also use 7-Zip when working with .7z and .zip archives, because it handles .7z better than WinRAR and its ZIP compression ratio is slightly better.

I keep Universal Extractor around to handle the most obscure formats and peeking into software installers.

zridling:
tomos, the WinRAR license is a [true] Lifetime license. It's also cross-platform, meaning, that my old Windows license key also gives me a license to use their Linux version.

Surprised no one has said PeaZip yet.

I've been using KDE's built-in Ark with openSUSE Linux for a while now. It's by no means sexy, but it provides a great set of right-click options in any file manager.

J-Mac:
WinRAR here also. I'm another earlier purchaser and it has never disappointed me in all these years.

Jim

nosh:
I dim the room lights and walk around the PC a few times chanting, trying to get a "feel" for the archive's contents so I can mentally decompress them. If that doesn't work out, I use Winrar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version