ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which archive software are we using in 2010 (and why)?

<< < (2/16) > >>

app103:
I usually use WinRar for extracting (right click file and extract) and rarely come across anything it can't handle.

I use Winzip for archiving (right click and archive) because the preferred format for distribution on the web is .zip and I don't want to fuss with doing things the more difficult way and actually run an application first and mess with settings to make a .zip.

f0dder:
WinRAR - I've been using RAR since the early DOS days, and always found the software to be excellent. WinRAR handles the files I need while on Windows, and supports a plethora of command-line arguments that makes it pretty useful. I also find the interface to be no-nonsense, and the program is pretty configurable. And the license was pretty cheap & lifetime - it was the first shareware program I registered after finally getting a Visa card.

Which archive software are we using in 2010 (and why)?
I like how I have it configured :)

Other than that, I find 7-zip likable, and it's the archiver I install for people who don't feel like cashing out. Works pretty OK, even if settings/cmdline is a bit basic.

erikts:
I have WinZip license (for old version). I use 7zip (command line) daily at work and home. I know that it's interface need improvement but it gets the job done.  :up:

Curt:
...I use 7zip (command line) daily at work and home. I know that it's interface need improvement but it gets the job done.  -erikts (August 10, 2010, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

-one reason I am using 7Zip (always via context menu) is because I never see the interface. Other than that, I use Vista's default if I only have to open a single container.

I have various other 'zippers', but are never given any reason to use them.

biox:
Another one for WinRAR, have been using it for years and still like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version