ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Five Reasons Why People Hate Apple

<< < (23/27) > >>

Stoic Joker:
To quote Jack from LOST, "Are you insane?"-Renegade (May 01, 2011, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

While debatable it's really not the central point...  
-Stoic Joker (May 01, 2011, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

No no no. Not your sanity - the sanity of using Access... That must be very not fun.-Renegade (May 01, 2011, 11:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, that was my second choice on how to take the comment. But I thought the first one was funnier, so I went with it... ;) ...But yes it's been about as much fun as being roasted alive.

It makes me wonder if there is any way to "trick" the system into thinking that it's using Access but actually have a different RDBMS there. Then it would be possible to swap it out.-Renegade (May 01, 2011, 11:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, it's (a web site) just a bunch of page scripts and an mdb file. The problem is it's a production system and there currently just isn't the time available to risk borking the whole thing if I happen to (miss a db trigger event, etc.) get something wrong.

Sure the SQL syntax is close enough that I could probably just recreate the db and update the connection string to target a MySQL db, and then import the data. But if anything went wrong ... I'd be married to the thing for a string of all nighters trying to stitch the data back together. Sure eventually it will have to be done ... But for here and now, it's (bandaid time) triage only.

Stoic Joker:
If you are old, don't care to learn just want to use something and it work, apple is for you.
-Kamel (May 01, 2011, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

God, Grant me the serinity...
-Stoic Joker (May 01, 2011, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

You must only meet one of the criteria, not all. Not saying apple is only for old people, but am saying old people should only use apple

EDIT: ESPECIALLY if you're an old person calling me for help fixing your internet
-Kamel (May 01, 2011, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was actually just trying to dissuade Renegade from saying what I was thinking, as we both tend to see red when the Apple, It just works thing comes up. Because it doesn't. Apple networking is dependent in its own abomination Bonjour, which I have seen break way too many networks with its shenanigan to be coincidence. It's a garbage protocol.

I'd rather try walking an old person through Linux troubleshooting, than do a hands-on network printer setup for a Mac. Because I know from the start that the first one will result in both of us laughing frequently, and the second one will (after much anguish) end badly.

Darwin:
If you are old, don't care to learn just want to use something and it work, apple is for you.
-Kamel (May 01, 2011, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

God, Grant me the serinity...
-Stoic Joker (May 01, 2011, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

You must only meet one of the criteria, not all. Not saying apple is only for old people, but am saying old people should only use apple

EDIT: ESPECIALLY if you're an old person calling me for help fixing your internet
-Kamel (May 01, 2011, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've set my parents' Macs (orignal iMac running OS 9.2, an iBook running OSX 10.1-10.4 - we kept upgrading OSX - and three iMacs runnings flavours of OSX including the latest with Snow Leopard) and have met with the same sorts of issues that I have setting up Windows machines over the years. Worst offenders have been printers and scanners, but I've also had trouble with networking, and miscellaneous difficulties with software configurations.

I find the notion that Apple products "just work" laughable...  >:(

Shades:
I saw the option in the 'Oracle SQL Developer' to connect to Access database and there is a transfer option to move data between databases. Depending on the complexity it should not take that much time.

Then again, I understand you are married to MS-SQL and I do not have too much experience with that one to say anything useful about its management tools.

Stoic Joker:
I understand you are married to MS-SQL-Shades (May 02, 2011, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am? Sounds like one of those bad night in Vegas movies ... When did I get married? I'm not adverse to MSSQL, but for something like this I'd generally go with MySQL (which may have been unclear earlier). Either way the object is to get (run) away (screaming) from Access (which the project is currently married to) unless using a dinky record set that would fit comfortably on a (Excel) spread sheet.

I've never dealt with Oracle, but anything resembling an automated (generic) transfer tends to make me nervous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version