ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Five Reasons Why People Hate Apple

<< < (14/27) > >>

Renegade:
if you don't fight it and let Apple do whatever it wants to do with your iphone/itunes, it usually works just fine-superboyac (December 02, 2010, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

That same pitch can be made for sodomy in a prison shower... :)
-Stoic Joker (December 02, 2010, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bwahahahahahaha~!

That was awesome~! :D

Darwin:
Indeed!

f0dder:
Instead of trying to (juggle chainsaws) do the download and the update at the same time (that's just flat stupid)]-Stoic Joker (December 02, 2010, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
In fairness, it probably did - but most firmware update apps I've come around warn pretty heavily that you must not disconnect the device at any time while update is in progres. My guess is that the update downloaded fine, device is put into "nuke yourself, bend over and accept the firmware load", and then she discoed it when it ran all usb-happy on her. When trying to restart the firmware update procedure, iTunes probably WANTS to be connected to the net to check if there's a new firmware available, even if it has just downloaded the most recent one.

All guesswork, of course, but thinking as a short-sigghted developer, it would seem likely :)

Luckily she was able to borrow a lil' bit of internet connection love from a neighbor so she could update&unbrick the phone. Only to realize that all her settings and files had been wiped (this is of course pretty normal firmware update procedure, but apparently iTunes hadn't warned her enough about this).-Stoic Joker (December 02, 2010, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
...Normal for what? Or am I missing the sarcasm? Routers sure...-f0dder (December 02, 2010, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Routers, and all FW-upgradable phones I've owned (S/E k500i, S/E k700, Nokia MusicExpress 5310 (was decent and even survived a week trapped in a snowman last winter!) and a S/E Elm (most recent, most bestest, lovin' it!). All user settings and user data stored in internal phone memory has been wiped.

steeladept:
Good point, f0dder. The transfer I made was via Windows Explorers - as stated, I had/have a loathing for iTunes that borders on irrational and am very hesitant to install it on my compter. I'm glad you brought this point up, actually, because it means that I'll be extra vigilant as another friend's son has asked me to help him update his iPod Touch to iOS 4.2. My plan was to install iTunes, update him, and uninstall iTunes. I might try doing it in XP Mode, which will hopefully minimzie the risk to both his music collection and my computer! Doubt it, though... I'll just have to be VERY careful to set iTunes up properly before doing this for him.
-Darwin (December 02, 2010, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Even better than trying XP Mode (IMO) is to install VirtualBox, create a Microsoft XP VM, install iTunes on that, and then when you go to remove it all, you can delete it all in one go.  Moreover, VirtualBox uninstalls much cleaner than iTunes if you want to get rid of that too (though it is quite useful for a myriad of things beyond iTunes  :D)

Darwin:
Hmm... thanks for the pointer, steeladept, I'll give it a look. Truth be told, I am running out of rationalizations for keeping XP Mode installed. For all intents and purposes I never use it. Once a month MAX and then only to play with File Managers that I don't want to install and muddy up my Win 7 install...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version