ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Five Reasons Why People Hate Apple

<< < (15/27) > >>

Edvard:
But you know what?  None of the other companies have made any tablets nearly as nice as this one.  Do it already!  But it's going to be hard to compete with that build quality and that screen with the great multi-touch responsiveness.
-superboyac (November 30, 2010, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Try poking around here:
http://androidpads.com
Some of these (particularly the Archos, which also sells a 9" Windows version) have been getting very good reviews about the touch response but all of them seem to have beaten Apple to the price line.
I'm not saying ANY of these are going to be the iPad killer, no not in the near (and maybe not-so-near) future anyways, but it's a darn good start...

johnk:
I think the opposition are going to find it very difficult to match the iPad, much more so than the iPhone.

The iPhone is (arguably) priced at a very high premium -- there's plenty of room for the opposition to work.

But the iPad is different. For me it's the first time Apple have gone into a market without a very heavy price premium (when you consider the hardware), making it difficult for the opposition. The (iPS) screen on the iPad wipes the floor with the current opposition. iPS panels are not cheap, that's why you see so few monitors using them. The iPad screen is so good that some photographers are using them as occasional/second monitors.

Mostly, though, it's (as always) about the software. One of many examples: newspaper and magazine publishers have been waiting for a long time for third-party hardware to arrive that would be the ideal e-publishing mechanism. A lot of the big players seem to have decided that iPad/iTunes is the one, for now at least. The only real opposition? The Kindle. There'll be lots of commercial arguments with Apple, sure, but publishers trust Apple to produce first class kit and a shopfront for their wares. The fragmented Android market will find it difficult to make the same promise to publishers.

superboyac:
johnk, you're right about that ipad screen, it's amazing.  This ipad is a wonderful supplement to my computing habits.  I still find it funny that for around $700, I think the ipad is the best GPS device you can find if you put the Copilot app on.  And the most expensive dedicated GPS units are in the $600-700 range.  On top of that, you get the amazing multi-touch.  Am I being a fanboy?  I hope not, this is the truth.  I'd say the same for PC hardware and software.  And with the jailbreaking option, the ipad is the most flexible and powerful tablet you can get right now.

Darwin:
Well... c'mon! This screen argument is analogous to the Super AMOLED vs Retina Display vs AMOLED display argument that keeps going around WRT cell phones. We're talking about 3.5" to 10" displays here. In isolation, are any of these screens going to "disappoint"? I doubt it. Not to beat a dead horse, by the lowly AMOLED 3.8" screen in my HTC 7 Surround may be vastly inferior to Super AMOLED or Retina (or iPS) but who cares? Unless I'm playing "mine is bigger than yours" with a Galaxy S owner, I'll struggle on in blissful ignorance. I don't know if this argument "scales" up through 7" and 10" devices, so I may be speaking out of my...

However, having said that, I don't think that the iPad faces any significant opposition right now. MS needs to get a tablet OS/tablet version of Win 7 out the door if they want to be in the game while Android 2.2 (Froyo) and 2.3 (released today?) are still not optimized to run on tablets. The Samsnung Galaxy Tab is superior to the iPad on paper - spec-wise (at least WRT RAM and ports/features) - but is hamstrung by the OS and is, in my opininon, significantly overpriced (if Samsung wants to take on Apple in this market segment, they should be more competitive on price). Meanwhile, the Archos 9 Windows tablet has a restrictive screen! And a not very sensitive one at that... It also runs Win 7 Starter (or whatever it's called - no idea how well that works) . Archos' Android tablets are let down by Android issues and match the iPad on hardware spec WRT CPU and RAM. They do beat the iPad in other features, though - HDMI out, USB ports, microSD slots. In my not-so-humble opinion, they should have doubled the RAM, particiularly if they want to be in a position to upgrade these devices to Gingerbread (Android 3.0, which WILL be tablet ready, apparently).

So, from the perspective of the end-user, the Apple product "just works"! Android tablet adopters are fighting buggy FW releases, mis-matches between the OS, developed for mobile phones, and the tablet that it's running on, and Windows 7 tablet users really don't have many choices - these things don't really exist in the wild. I don't think this situation will start to turn around until the Spring of 2011, which will have given Apple a full year's lead and no dobut iPad 2.0 will be out, heavily improved.

tomos:
... I'll struggle on in blissful ignorance. I don't know if this argument "scales" up through 7" and 10" devices, so I may be speaking out of my...
-Darwin (December 06, 2010, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

not to make an extra big deal out of the screen quality or anything:
I got a 22" IPS screen (matte) at the beginning of this year - once you've gotten one, you get a lot more critical of 'regular' TFT screens.
while I can understand your slating the importance in a 4" display, I think in a 10" screen it would be a factor. Especially if you're looking at videos/films or even just for photographs. I really think they got that right, cause once you get used to it you just think everything else is crap :)

From one of the comments in johnk's link:
I'm a bit curious what the specs will be on Asus's new 12.1 inch pad.. they've been putting IPS LED Backlit displays in sub $300 netbooks..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version