ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App

<< < (72/83) > >>

wraith808:
timns, you started bad-mouthing our product. You should stop it now, OK? It is for no good.
-BartelsMedia (January 15, 2011, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

He's actually been very civil. He gave his opinion of something in the product, in a non-negative manner, and there you appeared again.  He's actually been quite nice, so desisting from the personal attacks and as mouser said being nice would be helpful.

rjbull:
The software seems good but I and others on DC have disagreed with the company's attitude
--- End quote ---

Rjbull, I believe this describes your posting best. ;-)-BartelsMedia (January 15, 2011, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I made a plain statement to show my point of view.  I have said - more than once - that I thought your software was good.  So I consider that rude and uncalled-for.

InstantText is absolutely worth its money for its specific purpose and is tailored with awesome capabilities to the specific market of medical/legal transcription. However, I would hesitate to say that it has "more features" than PhraseExpress.

InstantText does not support text formatting, does not offer completion of full sentences and afaik, it has no macro automation programming language. Just to name a few.

PhraseExpress is not only a text auto-completion software, but also a text/code snippets organizer. Well, ...Merylic already provided the list of features.

--- End quote ---

I agree, to an extent.  You have correctly described Instant Text's value to its target market, where its focus on shorthand expansion rather than completion is appropriate.  I used it for mostly for making abstracts bulletins and I was very happy with its set of features; sentence completion would have had no real value to me.  Coding snippets is a different matter.  Instant Text has crude keyboard macros in that you can tell it to send things like Alt-keys and Function keys, but its key feature that I haven't seen anywhere else is the ability to examine a corpus of pre-existing text (including Word docs) and work out a set of expansions based on it.  IT gives you further tools for massaging the short forms so generated into whatever style you prefer, e.g. John Knowles' ABCZ Typing Abbreviation System.  IT also has separate lists of words and phrases, with separate triggers for them, and allows you to use no specific trigger beyond punctuation, which is a great help to typing flow.

The feature I was interested in was being able to use the same short form for more than one long text, e.g. "apon" for "application," "apparition," and "apportion."
--- End quote ---

I am happy to tell, that this feature always was and is available in the free version and I am sorry if you missed that.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I did miss that, thanks for pointing it out.  Which leaves me ruefully remembering I paid extra for the Pro version 7 to get it  :(

One more thing, not special to you, but with plenty more software companies.  You sent me an automated e-mail recently to tell me version 8 had been released.  My key is for 7 (also have 6) and this would be a paid upgrade.  When sending out notifications, is there any way you can make it clear in the e-mail that it is a paid upgrade?  I don't like installing something and only then finding it isn't still registered.  Your licensing is now slightly more complicated than it was, too, as I think you only used to have two versions, where you now appear to have three?

bmms:
I have said - more than once
--- End quote ---

I thought you would bring up this very old "company's attitude" topic again which really would be beating dead horses. Everything has been said at that time and it should not be brought up again in Tim's thread.

I apologize if I have misread your posting.

Which leaves me ruefully remembering I paid extra for the Pro version 7 to get it
--- End quote ---

This confuses me as the feature you desired was always working, including the free version. It was never disabled in any variation for the last 5 years since it has been introduced.

When sending out notifications, is there any way you can make it clear in the e-mail that it is a paid upgrade?
--- End quote ---

We actually do that at http://shop.phraseexpress.com and at http://new.phraseexpress.com. Also the update notification window in the software informs you, that it is a major new version and not a free but a paid upgrade. I am sorry, if you missed that and we will gladly make sure to make it more clear in the next version. We will add a counter to emphasize the nature of the upgrade, so it can't be "clicked away" so easily.

Your licensing is now slightly more complicated than it was, too, as I think you only used to have two versions, where you now appear to have three?
--- End quote ---

I fully agree with you. However, this was requested by many users. We would love to go with one version but users wanted different variations at different prices. However, you can quickly review the differences in the product feature matrix of the shop page.

I am not too sure from reading your postings about PhraseExpress whether you are still interested in it but I gladly would offer you a free upgrade to 8. Please contact us directly.

but its key feature that I haven't seen anywhere else is the ability to examine a corpus of pre-existing text (including Word docs) and work out a set of expansions based on it (..) IT gives you further tools for massaging the short forms so generated into whatever style you prefer.
--- End quote ---

The new PhraseExpress v8 offers both, too. Check out "Generate Autotext" and "Learn from text". In a slightly different fashion though. IT's greates feature is, that it takes sentences apart and offers fractions of a sentence for completion. This is the unique and distinctive feature. We only offer either complete sentences or single words.

Technically, it would be no rocket science for us to follow IT's approach. However, PhraseExpress is designed for office workers and general PC users and not only professional full-time transcriptionists. Normal users would be too disctracted by a permanent text suggestion box as in IT. And IT delivers just fine anyway.

As a final note: It is somehow difficult to handle PhraseExpress related issues/questions in another product's thread. On the one hand we don't want to appear that we would ignore any such question regarding our product as we consider any feedback very important. On the other hand, I also don't want to "hijack" other's threads for this purpose.

So, it would be great if you would contact us directly if anything is unclear about the features or open a separate posting to debate our company or products.

Thank you for your understanding and my apologies to Tim.

tomos:

^ :up:

mouser:
As a final note: It is somehow difficult to handle PhraseExpress related issues/questions in another product's thread. On the one hand we don't want to appear that we would ignore any such question regarding our product as we consider any feedback very important. On the other hand, I also don't want to "hijack" other's threads for this purpose.
--- End quote ---

This is definitely a problem that everyone who writes software that gets mentioned in threads faces, and there is no good easy answer when you see someone make a negative comment that you think is misinformed.

Appreciate the positive tone  :up: Now let's get back to our normal productive discussions and focus this thread back on topic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version