ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App

<< < (65/83) > >>

rjbull:
And let's close this thread.-mouser (January 10, 2011, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is there a convention to put a final message saying "This thread is closed and locked," or something like that, in larger than usual font?

ralfso:
I think timns shout douplicate the entry-posting to the new location first, before discussing at the new place.

rashford:
Lovely little app, I used it for half an hour and was looking forward to adding it to my "always on" utilities. However...I do a lot of my coding in VB6 (yeah, I know, but its what the punters want!) and, like all of the other clipboard managers, the VB IDE screws up when it's loading if Auspex is running. This is because VB and/or some VB add-ins seem to set up the icons on their toolbar buttons by copying them to and from the clipboard, and if there is a clipboard manager running, an error is generated and toolbars can go missing.

Is there any chance of making the clipboard function optional?

A few other things I noticed:
- I couldn't get the splash screen not to display (the setting doesn't have any effect)
- I couldn't get it to start with Windows, again irrespective of the relevant setting
- The auto-complete popup box always displayed as black text on a yellow background, again regardless of the settings

I really would like to use this utility, but the VB problem means I can't.

Thanks

Roger

timns:
Lovely little app, I used it for half an hour and was looking forward to adding it to my "always on" utilities. However...I do a lot of my coding in VB6 (yeah, I know, but its what the punters want!) and, like all of the other clipboard managers, the VB IDE screws up when it's loading if Auspex is running. This is because VB and/or some VB add-ins seem to set up the icons on their toolbar buttons by copying them to and from the clipboard, and if there is a clipboard manager running, an error is generated and toolbars can go missing.

Is there any chance of making the clipboard function optional?

A few other things I noticed:
- I couldn't get the splash screen not to display (the setting doesn't have any effect)
- I couldn't get it to start with Windows, again irrespective of the relevant setting
- The auto-complete popup box always displayed as black text on a yellow background, again regardless of the settings

I really would like to use this utility, but the VB problem means I can't.

Thanks

Roger

-rashford (January 11, 2011, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Roger, thank you!

I shall make the clipboard handler optional, so in your case you can switch it off.

As for the other items - oh yes, those and several other features are still "in progress" but rest assured will be addressed shortly.

Merrylic:
I tried Auspex for 10 minutes but hate to tell that I can't share the excitement.

As you want to market the software commercially, I would suggest to carefully review the HUGE number of your competitors:

* Auspex is constantly throwing error message whatever I do in the program.
* The user interface is really quirky at the present stage. It flickers like a discotheque, controls are overlapping, etc. Even given for its Alpha(?) status, it looks unprofessional. Keep in mind that the first impression counts. Check out "DirectAccess" for a more beautiful approach.
* Your single-words autocompletion already exist in the freeware "LetMeType".
* Take a look on "AutoHotkey" which has flexible automation capabilities.
* The freeware "PhraseExpress" - which I consider the boss in town - takes this approach even further and can detect and auto-complete full sentences.
In general, it will be very difficult to beat a power house llike PhraseExpress. It is so reliable, established, feature-rich AND free that it will be very hard to compete unless your software has anything where it stands out.

You have to define your unique selling proposition. I can't find it yet. There is any feature that does not exist in any other of the established programs. And the biggest issue is that the market price for this genre is already set to $0.

I believe it is big failure if you don't perform any thorough market research before starting a commercial project unless you entertain it as a hobby.

Please don't take it as an offense. I appreciate your efforts and I am really just trying to be helpful.

By the way, you seem to be using FamFam icons. You should give credit, where credit is due!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version