topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App  (Read 323340 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Teaser: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2010, 09:37 PM »
It's realllly easy to do, the only thing you'd have to change is start uploading new versions at a predictable url with a predictable name (and not change the file name with each version).  It can be a zip file or a full installer.  If you start doing that i'll make the update file for you to use.

If you're going to do it eventually you might as well do it now and make it easier on your beta testers to grab the new version.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2010, 10:21 PM »
It's realllly easy to do, the only thing you'd have to change is start uploading new versions at a predictable url with a predictable name (and not change the file name with each version).  It can be a zip file or a full installer.  If you start doing that i'll make the update file for you to use.

If you're going to do it eventually you might as well do it now and make it easier on your beta testers to grab the new version.

I'd be happier if it was done after NANY completes... I like to know the number of downloads  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2010, 10:26 PM »
All the more reason to move the download to your web server where you can track downloads; as a file attachment the download count gets reset each time you replace the attachment with a new version.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Tim: Auspex b37 has ceased to work?? Well it runs... but doesn't replace anything or trigger anything???

I can quit and go back to previous version OK.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:16 PM by Perry Mowbray »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Tim: Auspex b37 has ceased to work?? Well it runs... but doesn't replace anything or trigger anything???

Yoinks! Can you clear your Exceptions list, and maybe also try creating a new replacement? Maybe I was clumsy when adding defaults to new fields.

(It's working here but I would not swear to anything given that I've just completely screwed my own replacements file by playing with different character encodings - but words are popping up ok as I type this)

Can anyone else look at 37 also please?

I believe you Perry, I just don't want to  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2010, 10:31 AM »
1.0.0.37 seems to be working here, at least on my simple test of entry that triggers after i type a space.

A brief help file that just showed a sample entry and said how to test it would be useful for first time users -- since i suspect many people will not be familiar with the basic logic behind using this (though they will grasp it from a simple example).

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2010, 11:06 AM »
v.37 going fine here and thanks for the new features.

Could you explain the sliders on the Advanced Program Options page : why two ? Are they lower and higher ?

I'm thinking about a suggestion to make but I'll post it later when I've thought it through.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2010, 01:24 PM »
@timns

Quite a few issues here.

• Can't enter master pwd to Roboform with Auspex running (tried all 3 exception settings)
  • Replacement text always positions the cursor at the beginning of the replaced text
  • Sometimes, clicking on a 'replacement' item that I've modified fails to open the "Replacement" text window
  • Sometimes, Auspex won't let me create a new item

Tried all settings with above.
One thing that would help a bit with testing is if there were a mechanism for Auspex to refresh itself once changes are made, rather than stop-starting.

When I could create a new item, that didn't help with any of my issues here.

Compatibility mode with Kedit works with replacements, except for the cursor repositioning already mentioned. (I appreciate the efforts you're making here!)
Auto-completion writes the (tab) trigger into the file.

Should I erase Auspex completely and reinstall 1.00.37, or will that not help?

Have a nice day  ;)  :-[

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2010, 02:33 PM »
1.0.0.37 seems to be working here, at least on my simple test of entry that triggers after i type a space.

A brief help file that just showed a sample entry and said how to test it would be useful for first time users -- since i suspect many people will not be familiar with the basic logic behind using this (though they will grasp it from a simple example).

WIKI!

http://redmine.dcmem...ex/wiki/Replacements

Or can most folks not get to this thing?

I'm actually in the process of setting up a website for Auspex anyway, so I'll certainly make sure this text is all available there, but in addition I have a 'Wizard' planned for the system so that folks can get the idea of what to do a bit easier. Ooh, that gives me an idea also for a "test this" feature.

Thanks - I should shout "WIKI" at you more often  :Thmbsup:

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2010, 02:36 PM »
Could you explain the sliders on the Advanced Program Options page : why two ? Are they lower and higher ?

Eventually they will control the speed at which Auspex enters text for you. If the sliders are split, it'll represent a random variation of typing speed to look a little more natural. Feel free to suggest why I might be adding this!

Please do also make any and all suggestions, either here or raise them in redmine.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:41 PM by timns »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2010, 02:39 PM »
    * Can't enter master pwd to Roboform with Auspex running (tried all 3 exception settings)
Still on my todo list

* Replacement text always positions the cursor at the beginning of the replaced text
Hangover from me changing what the 'cursor pos' value represents. Please visit your replacements and change the Cursor Pos field from 0 to -1.

* Sometimes, clicking on a 'replacement' item that I've modified fails to open the "Replacement" text window
    * Sometimes, Auspex won't let me create a new item

Well it's a capricious little bugger isn't it? I'd love to get a set of steps to reproduce these!

Tried all settings with above.
One thing that would help a bit with testing is if there were a mechanism for Auspex to refresh itself once changes are made, rather than stop-starting.

There's a new, tiny button in the top toolbar that does that very thing.

Auto-completion writes the (tab) trigger into the file.

#$##!! Yes it probably does. KEdit is a bit of a rotter to deal with... I'm getting there though.

Thank you very much for all your comments Senor Cranio.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2010, 02:53 PM »
By the way, I should start a thread with "what's the most ridiculous completion you've had so far?"

I've seen a few boring ones with repeated typos (which actually gives me ideas for new replacements to set up to cover my crappy typing) but I've also had "pinhead" "humdinger" and "capini" suggested to me. I should probably stop writing such idiotic emails :-[

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2010, 04:50 PM »

Yoinks! Can you clear your Exceptions list, and maybe also try creating a new replacement? Maybe I was clumsy when adding defaults to new fields.

Done but still no dice  :(

Actually... doesn't just sit there... it seems to be sending an Right Mouse Button click to the active window? I had to quit Auspex to type this because the Window's Context menu kept coming up.
WindowMenu.png

I've noticed it before, but after restarting Auspex it's back to doing nothing again...

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2010, 05:04 PM »
Done but still no dice  :(

Actually... doesn't just sit there... it seems to be sending an Right Mouse Button click to the active window? I had to quit Auspex to type this because the Window's Context menu kept coming up. (see attachment in previous post)
I've noticed it before, but after restarting Auspex it's back to doing nothing again...

It doesn't do anything with mouse messages at all... is there a chance you have a windows hot key set up to bring up the context menu?

Can I send you a logging version? It doesn't track any passwords or anything as you hopefully know...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 05:08 PM by timns »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2010, 06:31 PM »
@timns

Replacement text always positions the cursor at the beginning of the replaced text
Hangover from me changing what the 'cursor pos' value represents. Please visit your replacements and change the Cursor Pos field from 0 to -1
When Auspex 1.00.37 first came up, all its values for these were set to -1.
After I saw the cursor positioning thing, I tried changing the value to 0 and, later, back to -1.
(I went through a restart of Auspex after each change.)
Now after rebooting my machine it works as it should :o:-[

Sometimes, clicking on a 'replacement' item that I've modified fails to open the "Replacement" text window.
Sometimes, Auspex won't let me create a new item

Well it's a capricious little bugger isn't it? I'd love to get a set of steps to reproduce these!
I too, I've tried.
Now, with the cursor positioning working properly for me, I find that two of my replacement items are simply gone and a third has the right mnemonic but the replacement text for one of the missing items.
Sure seems as if something is corrupting a data file. Reading this you've probably decided that the fault lies between my chair and the computer — I certainly would. I'm not making up this stuff, though.

if there were a mechanism for Auspex to refresh itself once changes are made
There's a new, tiny button in the top toolbar that does that very thing.
Oh dear, how long has that been in?
The fault does lie between my chair and the computer :-[:-[

#$##!! Yes it probably does. KEdit is a bit of a rotter to deal with... I'm getting there though.
Much appreciated!!

Thank you very much for all your comments Senor Cranio
Pull the other one, amigo :)

Weeny weedy WICKI!

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Done but still no dice  :(

Actually... doesn't just sit there... it seems to be sending an Right Mouse Button click to the active window? I had to quit Auspex to type this because the Window's Context menu kept coming up. (see attachment in previous post)

It doesn't do anything with mouse messages at all... is there a chance you have a windows hot key set up to bring up the context menu?

Can I send you a logging version? It doesn't track any passwords or anything as you hopefully know...

Of course I'll try a logging version... and I don't have any hotkeys set up and I've tried quitting other programmes.

What's odd is that close Auspex and the problem disappears.

...and pre 37 everything was fine and nothing's changed on my system  :-\
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:52 PM by Perry Mowbray »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Thank you Cranioscopical and Perry. I'll do a logging build in the next day or so.

@cranio: I think there's still a bug whereby you can lose Replacements if you drag them around into sub-folders after a change (or something like that) - could that possibly fit with what you were doing when you lost a couple of items?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2010, 10:32 AM »
@cranio: I think there's still a bug whereby you can lose Replacements if you drag them around into sub-folders after a change (or something like that) - could that possibly fit with what you were doing when you lost a couple of items?
Could be now you mention it, but I was careful to do a refresh after every step.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2010, 07:10 PM »
The current version of Auspex will die on you today.

I'll be uploading a new version over the weekend with some significant improvements, especially for those of you who insist on using tricky applications. ;)

I have fixed many stability issues, improved unicode support, got it working with KEdit and added several new features.

There'll be a complete list in the history section of the Wiki, as well as a new section containing some ideas of what to do with the program. I am asking for people to submit other suggestions too please (suggestions involving the words 'insert' and 'orifice' will be ignored in an aloof manner)

Obviously I have also introduced several new bugs to keep you on your toes  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Looking forward to it!

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2010, 04:16 AM »
Dead Auspex here - I thought that was a joke ! - but looking forward to the next version.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2010, 07:41 AM »
Aurochs, Auspex… what next?

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2010, 12:11 PM »
Archaeopteryx maybe ... ?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2010, 12:26 PM »
I suppose you're giving me the bird  :(

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Dead Auspex here - I thought that was a joke ! - but looking forward to the next version.

No, sorry. When I first put the teaser together I gave it an end date, which of course I forgot to change with all the other faffing about.

New build coming up today... please be warned your replacements will look rather strange on re-start since I had to throw away the xml encoder I was using and roll my own. Stupid thing did not work with unicode properly, and was also replacing spaces with + signs. Argh.

Conversion services available if anyone wants me to fix their existing files, otherwise you just have a bit of editing to do in the name and replacement fields within the program itself.