ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

<< < (29/34) > >>

wraith808:
I've had no problems with my wi-fi since the update; I used to have problems like you describe, but haven't seen a hint of it since.  Not sure why that is.  I do agree on the screen lock issue- seems pretty boneheaded, especially since the switch doesn't even operate like the iPhone (on the phone, it's a rocker sort of mechanism as opposed to the switch on the iPad. 

You can reduce the annoyance of the last point by increasing your autolock time, and your password lock time.  Not an ideal solution, but it does help.

steeladept:
Wifi issues.  The wifi connectivity is not as smooth as I have come to expect from Apple.  It's not bad, nowhere near as bad as Windows.  but it does ask for my password when I've already put it in.  usually, when I've been going around using multiple access points.  And, like my search on Windows, there aren't any really awesome wifi managers out there.  Man, I'd kill to have a great wifi manager on either Windows or the ipad.  But that's another story.
-superboyac (December 01, 2010, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good luck.  I had a great one for my iPod Touch that was subsequently removed and is now unavailable from iTunes (not sure if it was Apple or developer caused, but antidotal evidence points to Apple as the culprit).  It isn't made for the iPad, but will probably work for it if you can get it installed.  It is called WiFiTrak from Bitrino.  Haven't found anything comparable on iTunes or Cydia.  If you do find something, though, particularly on Cydia, then it is another reason to Jailbreak.  Personally I am seriously considering doing so to tether my laptop to the 3G network...Apple doesn't allow those apps.

steeladept:
I do agree on the screen lock issue- seems pretty boneheaded, especially since the switch doesn't even operate like the iPhone (on the phone, it's a rocker sort of mechanism as opposed to the switch on the iPad. 
-wraith808 (December 01, 2010, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually it looks exactly like the volume switch on my iPod Touch (3G / 3GS equivalent components).

superboyac:
Good luck.  I had a great one for my iPod Touch that was subsequently removed and is now unavailable from iTunes (not sure if it was Apple or developer caused, but antidotal evidence points to Apple as the culprit).  It isn't made for the iPad, but will probably work for it if you can get it installed.  It is called WiFiTrak from Bitrino.  Haven't found anything comparable on iTunes or Cydia.  If you do find something, though, particularly on Cydia, then it is another reason to Jailbreak.  Personally I am seriously considering doing so to tether my laptop to the 3G network...Apple doesn't allow those apps.
-steeladept (December 02, 2010, 02:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
I am also considering it.  Yeah, I read that Jobs will not allow any apps in itunes that modify the desktop.  I was looking for something that would display which apps were currently running, like a task manager widget on the home screen.  But since that modifies the desktop, it's not allowed.  I'm also guessing he doesn't allow any apps that modify the core built-in functions of the device.  So that means anything that changes what the physical buttons do, like reassigning the sliding mute switch.  And that wifi program interferes with the ipad's own wifi manager in the settings.  So that's not allowed.  Yeah, all the more reason to jailbreak.

nosh:
You can find out about the new features bug fixes in iOS 4.2 here.
--- End quote ---

Are third party apps fair game?  ;)
(Had to maintain the gynormous screenshot size to preserve the text. Screenshots, I'm doing it wrong.  :mad: )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version