ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

<< < (28/34) > >>

JavaJones:
Do they have dash or other car mounts for the iPad? If not, using it as a GPS is going to be dangerous at best, non-functonal *and* dangerous at worst. Also, it's a lot more expensive than a decent stand-alone GPS. ;)

- Oshyan

superboyac:
Well, it's working now.  I used my spare laptop as the guinea pig computer.  I'll just use that laptop for itunes.  I'm not installing it on my precious desktop.  Anyway, everything is fine now.  I have to say, I hate how Apple ties you into their network.  You can't really get out of it.  I'll look into those jailbreaking things, but the whole idea of it fights against my nature.

superboyac:
Yeah, i know it's expensive.  But I had to get it, long story.  I was JUST looking at car mounts, I don't quite understand how they work.  I'm looking for a car mount that will still allow someone to sit in the passenger seat, and somewhat retractable or something to put it aside when not being used.  I'm looking.

I still am not sure if GPS will work.  I'm looking for some free apps that will give me a clue whether the gps can work with wifi and data plan turned off.  I don't have a data plan anyway.

superboyac:
well, I just tried the GPS.  It works!  I'm using the regular Google maps/navigation that comes default on the ipad.  When I lose connection, it still works, as in, the ipad keeps track of my location.  The only thing that doesn't work is the maps, I can only use whatever is in the cache.  So I think I'm going to buy Copilot HD live app for this thing and use it as my navigator.  Very nice.  That's all I really wanted.  We can knock apple all day, but this ipad is a gorgeous device.

superboyac:
For anyone following, I'm about to list my few annoyances with the ipad.  I'm not unhappy really, but a little annoyed.

Wifi issues.  The wifi connectivity is not as smooth as I have come to expect from Apple.  It's not bad, nowhere near as bad as Windows.  but it does ask for my password when I've already put it in.  usually, when I've been going around using multiple access points.  And, like my search on Windows, there aren't any really awesome wifi managers out there.  Man, I'd kill to have a great wifi manager on either Windows or the ipad.  But that's another story.

There's a slider next to the volume rocker.  before the latest iOS update, that slider could be used to lock screen rotation.  Very useful.  But now, it's function is to mute.  But the volume rocker also mutes if you hold it down.  So that useful function is now redundant and useless. Apple's excuse: to make its function mimic the same thing on the iphone.  Stupid reason.  At least let us toggle one or the other.  I've heard several complaints about that.

There's no way to disable the screen slide-lock.  I understand it's use, but I don't care for it.  Every time the screen turns off, you need to use the slide to turn it back on.  I'd rather just tap the home button and be returned to the exact same screen that I left it on.  Someone told me I may be able to do this with a jailbreak ipad.  But I'm going to wait on that for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version