ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

<< < (8/34) > >>

nudone:
final word? hmm, still time to change your mind, superboyac.

a nice new toy, that's not a budget killer?

something to try other o/s's with?

sounds like the tc1100 machine. on ebay, less than $300. buy it, play with it, sell it - maybe even for a small profit.

Stoic Joker:
I have never had the need for a portable computing device.  i don't use a smartphone, i barely use my cell phone, I have a laptop that I hardly use.  Actually, the most I ever used my laptop was a couple of years ago when I had it connected to my tv as a media center.  But now, i've replace it with my old desktop, which works much better.  There you go!  Once again, I am just a desktop guy.-superboyac (August 06, 2010, 11:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
...Because there really is no good reason that we need to be that well connected. I've got a really nice Dell 6 year old laptop with a Gig of RAM and an 80GB HDD that dual boots between Win2k & XP. And I'd venture to say that I spent more time setting it up out of the box than I have using it since.

Smart phones I've got no use for either - I ain't gonna be texting/Googling/Shopping online from a motorcycle. That will just have to waite till I get where I'm going (which seldom takes long on a fast bike...).

Hence! ...I fully support your decision to do nothing. ;)

cyberdiva:
I don't need another computing device.  I'll consider tablets when they become good and offer something great and different from my pc.
-superboyac (August 06, 2010, 11:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Superboyac, I don't want to push you to buy something you don't really need.  But I thought I'd mention why I did buy a Toshiba NB305-N410BL netbook.  I too much prefer my desktop, even though it's four years old.  And, like you, I don't own a smartphone and use my cell phone rarely.  But I do travel--not all the time, but when I do, I want to be able to have Internet access without going to an Internet cafe.  Until recently, I used my PalmTX for that.  If there's free wi-fi available, I can read my email and, with some hassle, go to websites.  And it's got great timewasters like Scrabble to keep me happy on an airplane.  I can also load movies on an SD card and watch them with my TX on the plane as well.  But I've come to feel that the screen is just too damn small to make me happy (it's the same size as the iTouch screen, I think, though the iTouch may have higher resolution). 

I own an ancient IBM laptop, but it is too cumbersome for travelling (at least for me).  Hence my decision to get a netbook.  I was attracted by the great reviews that the Toshiba got, especially the comfort of the keyboard and the relatively long battery life.  I now travel with it, and it's a lot more satisfactory than my old laptop or my PalmTX.  Frankly, though, it doesn't have nearly as much zip as I had expected.  I upped the RAM to 2 GB (the maximum it will support), but the processor (Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz) is a lot less powerful than the one in my four-year-old desktop.  I suspect that the iPad would be a lot quicker.  But the netbook can multi-task and is not dependent on iTunes or the Apple Store.  I can also use Linkman with Firefox and use my choice of email clients, something I'm not sure I could do on an iPad.  And it's got a real keyboard, which I much prefer to the iPad's arrangement (based on the three minutes I played with one in an Apple Store).

I'm not saying you should buy a netbook, but your recent messages (including your mention of the Toshiba NB305) made me decide to comment.

PPLandry:
I'm a PC kind of guy, for as long as I remember, I mean DOS days... and I bought an Ipod Touch (8G, $199 Can) 2 months ago...

And do you what, I never thought I would use it so much. In good part, because it is small, so my first recommendation is get something small so you carry it with you all the time without asking yourself if the extra weight is a problem.

And there are so many things it does... Here are my favorites apps:
- email
- Calendar and Tasks (both of which will soon sync with IQ)
- photos and music
- Facebook
- Weather
- Maps
- Local news paper
- Read e-books (there are tons of free books out there)
- Dropbox which allows me to see all the stuff in my Dropbox folder of my PC
- Tons of games of course, most free

And of course you can browse the web for stuff that doesn't have a dedicated app

(and don't listen to people you complain about battery life, it is excellent (I charge it at night and go through my day on a charge)

HTH

superboyac:
I think I've decided:
I'm going going to get my dual-monitor arms.  I will get a new Bookster three-piece suit.  I know I'll use both of those a lot, and I'll wait for a good tablet to come out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version