ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

<< < (5/34) > >>

daddydave:
--- End quote ---

The way I would answer that question would be heavily weighted toward which one has the applications I want to run, and the best development environment to lure developers from all corners.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

The way I would answer that question would be heavily weighted toward which one has the applications I want to run, and the best development environment to lure developers from all corners.
-daddydave (August 06, 2010, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

This. That was how I looked at it.  Also the use case, i.e. carrying it around all the time, or a living room type luxury device.

superboyac:
Well, i do plan to carry it around all the time.  I also want to use it in other people's living rooms when I am bored.  I don't need much from it.  Email, notetaking (simple, Evernote-ish), web browsing, music listening, video watching.  I'd like to be able to stick a usb drive in and browse the file contents also and even transfer some files back and forth.  That's pretty much it.  I save all my heavy computing for my home computer.

The other weird thing about me: I don't have a smartphone.  A lot of people who know me think I do, but I don't.  I have a Blackberry pearl with NO data plan.  I don't text.  I have 5 minute conversations max.  I don't like to do anything like that when I'm out and about, especially with people.  There are only a handful of people in the world who have seen me answer my cell phone in front of them.

wraith808:
The bag I purchased is
http://www.ebags.com/product/timbuk2/slingshot-netbook-pack/145502

With that, I carry it around with me.  It is heavier than the iPad (as you know), but it works for me.  I actually bought that bag just as I was about to get the iPad, and thankfully it worked for the tc1100.

One point:
I'd like to be able to stick a usb drive in and browse the file contents also and even transfer some files back and forth.-superboyac (August 06, 2010, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can't do that with the iPad.  I'd planned to use my jungle disk account and dropbox for the heavy lifting where file storage is concerned, which is why I'd decided to go with the 16GB version; as I didn't plan to do heavy media consumption, I just didn't need the space.

superboyac:
I'd planned to use my jungle disk account and dropbox for the heavy lifting where file storage is concerned
-wraith808 (August 06, 2010, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
You know what I use for this stuff?  HFS.  I set up my own file server at home and use the web interface.  I really like it.

however, one day my next big project is to create my own personal server with really fast speeds.  My ISP has slow upload speeds, as do most isps.  One day, i want my own commercial grade server to put all my websites, shared files, file transferring, etc.  I want to have control over all of that eventually.  The only thing I don't want to control, nor can i, is the grid access.  I want a fast line for uploading/downloading/traffic and all the hardware, web space, servers, etc. is under my control.  I don't like committing to any cloud services.  I'd much rather set up an application myself on my own hardware, and simply use the isp to access it from anywhere.  This is my goal eventually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version