ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

<< < (19/34) > >>

nosh:
$0.02 for superboyac:

I would just go ahead and get an iPad... at the very least it'll stop you over-thinking the issue.  :)
There's always something round the corner worth waiting for, as we all know. The iPad should get you by the next year or two when you'll have something much better available (iPad v.2?  :P)

wraith808:
One thing about the ipad... you'll have to spend more money to get good handling of PDFs.  Then more money to get good handling of office documents.  And truthfully, there isn't much difference when it comes to speed... most of it is an illusion, using the always on/great battery life to cover for the fact that it's not exceptionally fast.  Try to open a large pdf on it, and you'll see what I mean.  Applications launch fast- yes.  But loading large documents... no.  So keep that in mind- especially if PDFs are your main bit, and doubly if you're using large PDFs.

superboyac:
I love this phrase below:
Don't get me wrong: Microsoft needs a tablet. Apple sold 3 million iPads in two months, and that was amid howls that it was overpriced and underfunctioning. The market for a thin but large, touch-screened thing-that-isn't-a-phone is clear, as an e-book reader, as a movie player, as a game pad, as a casual e-mail-and-Web device. Why rest a hot PC on your lap when you can balance a slender slab on your thigh? So what if that slab only does 85 percent of what the PC can do?
--- End quote ---
It's from here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38208922/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets

I like the description.  Keep in mind my post from above about all the terms being used.

daddydave:
I have no opinion, I just want to add a little fuel to the fire:

Introducing the Samsung Galaxy Tab

Why they chose a name that brings to mind old Fords and old diet soft drinks is anyone's guess.

EDIT: (Yeah, I did change the link from cnet to engadget)

superboyac:
I've been following that Samsung one on engadget for a while.  Looks interesting.  I'm really waiting for the whole tablet market to mature a little more.  I think it's going to be very interesting.

I've been thinking about what kind of tablet I really want.  Knowing myself, and this is probably true for many here, I want a fully functioning Windows 7 tablet.  I don't want an android thing.  I don't do "apps".  I use real man software, not kiddie stuff.  I want to use FARR, LBC, DOpus, stuff like that.  I've gone to great lengths to find the software that does things just the way I like.

I feel it's right around the corner.  Actually, the business models are already there.  If you're willing to spend $2000+ you can get a real nice tablet pc that runs Windows 7, with fast hardware, long battery life, and all that.  If I was just slightly more wealthy, I'd get one right now.

By next year, i want to have a whole nice portable setup.  I want a fully functioning computer that I can write on with a stylus, has all the necessary connections and speedy hardware.  I want all the cables and accesories necessary to connect to most TV's or monitors easily, including audio cables.  I want an extra battery and charger.  Maybe some blank dvd's, a couple of spare usb sticks.  Also, if projectors come down in size enough, I'll stick one of those in there.  Nice microphone and pro audio card also to make sure I can use it to play my piano and/or record a concert.  And all of this in a nice case that's as compact as possible.  That would be a great thing to take around with me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version